FS '71 2800CS 5spd $17.5K *** SOLD ***

doubledutch

Reaction score
So the wife wins...... Too many toys and not enough space so the Malaga coupe has to go....

I have decided to sell my Coupe that I have enjoyed tremendously for the last 4 years. I enjoyed E9 so much that I bought another one ('73 3.0cs)

The car spend most of its time in CA and was shipped (as far as I can trace back) to NYC in the early 2000's and was owned by a movie director who dumped quite a bit of money in to the car. I purchased the car in 2012 from a small shop specializing in vintage European cars north of Boston. I have history on the car dating back to 1999
The car is in decent condition for the price and very original with low mileage and runs without issue (no leaks, no white smoke) the car is not rust free but rust has not gotten any worse since I have owned and car was always stored inside, never seen rain or snow and washed with damp cloth. Plenty of work has been done to the car since I have owned it, most recently new spark plugs and a rebuild starter.
Nice car for somebody to get into a coupe without breaking the bank, car can be enjoyed as is without issue or could be a restoration candidate. She probably wont win any trophy's but is a blast to drive and lots of thumbs up
I am planning on listing the car on Craigslist within a week or so.

Asking price is $17.500

The good:
- very original & complete View attachment 19223 View attachment 19220 car, very few modifications, no speaker holes etc
- car drives great, straight and no smoke, cruises at 70-75Mph without issue
- 80K miles
- desirable 5spd conversion was done 2 yrs ago (Getrag 265)
- upgraded 14" Mahle rims,
- new wood, wood veneer was completely redone (by Bela) 3 yr ago
- had a full tune up last yr ($1000) & just had starter rebuild $450 & new plugs
- new rear window motors, al windows work, the rear are slow and once in a while get stuck but they do work, a rarity
- interior is in very nice shape, leather looks very good (was redone at some point) 1 small tear on side driver seat
- all instruments work incl clock ,
- headliner is clean and no rips
- new battery
- new driveshaft; had to buy a new one when I had the 5psd conversion done

The not so good.....
some rust area's, nothing has gotten worse since I bought the car but you may choice to address it at some point, nor because the car is not safe but purely from an aestethics point of view;
- bubbling near front left wheel arch (probably worst area on the car)
- some rust in engine bay,
- rust under rear window seal, towards the trunk
- small rivet holes on the side panels where ones protector strips were attached
hood is a bit crooked on one side and the paint has a 3"crack (looks like somebody shut it while they forgot to remove a tool in the engine bay....)
some of the clearcoat has peeled off on the trunk area, it has not gotten any worse,
small area on the rear bumper where the chrome has come off a bit
trunk could use work, plywood need replacement, easy fix I just haven't gotten around doing it yet
car has original A/C but is not working, I never really cared to find out what the problem but it is there

Car is in storage but can be seen/driven in East Greenwich, RI 02818
Call/txt or email me at 401-219-66 nine six or send me a pm if interested, plenty more pix upon request, more than happy to assist with a PPI, transportation or any other request

Open to suggestions, feedback, advice, just go easy on her :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mzlvsc9pxqvxa8b/AADwxCs583Urpba0z9QvAa-La?dl=0

Attachments

• limrock2015a.jpg
    limrock2015a.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_5577.JPG
    IMG_5577.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lovely! Just when we lose all hope we see two promising sub $20K cars on the market. Somebody buy this car and do nothing but drive it!

That's the thing about the rust. You can keep the car very warm and dry, and ignore it while you enjoy the car (assume car is sound).

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree with Markos, it looks like there is a LOT to like about this car. IF it had been posted for sale 15 months ago, I'd probably be on my way to RI this afternoon! But, I'm very happy with the 'hot rod' e9 I bought in Portsmouth RI 14 months ago.

Good luck with the sale. It shouldn't take very long, as "I" think it is attractively priced.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I hope the buyer of this car just doesnt flip it and actually buy it to restore or drive as-is.

Who would restore/refurb all that wood on the dash and not redo the cracked vinyl dashpad pieces? That stuff is not easy to take apart and put back.

doubledutch

Reaction score
Just trying to be fair with my price, not looking to make a huge profit, my wish is to sell it to a E9 enthusiast like all of us, I really would like to avoid a flipper. FloridaBMX you could always offer me more if you want :)
If I post it on CL I will probably raise the price a bit (still <20K) since everybody tries to beat you up on CL

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lovely! Just when we lose all hope we see two promising sub $20K cars on the market. Somebody buy this car and do nothing but drive it!

That's the thing about the rust. You can keep the car very warm and dry, and ignore it while you enjoy the car (assume car is sound).
And it comes with two rare and beautiful badges, BMWCCA and Coupe CS Registry. But it might be Register. Two runs of badges, two different spellings. Does not matter. Beautiful car, yes, someone buy and drive. Steve

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Who would restore/refurb all that wood on the dash and not redo the cracked vinyl dashpad pieces? That stuff is not easy to take apart and put back.

Perhaps you should ask doubledutch. He's had the car for four years and replaced the wood three years ago, per the ad. Perhaps he didn't have another $1,000 to spend on the vinyl after spending nearly the same on wood.

doubledutch

Reaction score
And it comes with two rare and beautiful badges, BMWCCA and Coupe CS Registry. But it might be Register. Two runs of badges, two different spellings. Does not matter. Beautiful car, yes, someone buy and drive. Steve
To be fair I removed the CS Registry badge, also car comes with the original steering wheel not the Nardi that maybe be shown in one of the pix, just for the record

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To be fair I removed the CS Registry badge, also car comes with the original steering wheel not the Nardi that maybe be shown in one of the pix, just for the record
Good idea. Art Wegweiser did an original run in the early 17th Century. He lent me a badge and I did two runs totaling almost 200 badges. The Chinese producer(where else) threw in lapel pins(how quaint) free. The second run they added a small key fob. Both had mini repros of the badge. There was quite a bit of discussion about RegistER vs. RegistRY. I honestly don't remember which was the original name of the Registry/er. Amy knows. If there was enough demand I might consider doing another run. I think the minimum is 75. If you have read this far, email me at [email protected] if you are interested. It was great fun "meeting" e9ers from all over the planet. One guy in Michigan found an original badge behind the grille of a 2800 he had acquired. Lucky dog.

Steve

floridabmx

Reaction score
Just trying to be fair with my price, not looking to make a huge profit, my wish is to sell it to a E9 enthusiast like all of us, I really would like to avoid a flipper. FloridaBMX you could always offer me more if you want :)
If I post it on CL I will probably raise the price a bit (still <20K) since everybody tries to beat you up on CL

if i had the cash id definitely buy it.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good idea. Art Wegweiser did an original run in the early 17th Century. He lent me a badge and I did two runs totaling almost 200 badges. The Chinese producer(where else) threw in lapel pins(how quaint) free. The second run they added a small key fob. Both had mini repros of the badge. There was quite a bit of discussion about RegistER vs. RegistRY. I honestly don't remember which was the original name of the Registry/er. Amy knows. If there was enough demand I might consider doing another run. I think the minimum is 75. If you have read this far, email me at [email protected] if you are interested. It was great fun "meeting" e9ers from all over the planet. One guy in Michigan found an original badge behind the grille of a 2800 he had acquired. Lucky dog.

Steve

waynesie

Reaction score
Lots of talk about how there is never a car in this price range / a driver? and with a 5 speed
Well here it is.... anyone, anyone