FS 74 3.0 CS Family Hierloom

JohnInReno

Reaction score
Sold - Some people here seem to know the buyer. I am sure he will introduce himself.

The time has come to let go of my CS Coupe. This is a family heirloom as my dad was the original owner and I became it's caretaker in 1998. Some pictures:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1127...ms/5785583068468809345?authkey=CLaR_dHv4JTSLw

This car was maintained as a driver and the goal was one oil change + 3-4 tanks of gas per year. I didn't quite get there - 36,711 miles as of today.
No rust! Really! The car was delivered in Arizona and I kept it in Nevada. It has not seen a drop of rain in 16 years. As original as possible. 4-speed/air/sunroof/alloy wheels(5). It is in the registry.

MSRP 15,941.50

Asking 32,000

Edit: I added pictures showing the spare tire and trunk area per request. Did I mention that this car comes with the parts manual and shop manual?

John Morgensen
Fernley, NV
775 771 5791

Last edited:

dascoupeguy

Reaction score
Paint?

Please advise circumstances regarding paint? Has it been repainted? Looks like engine bay is Sahara??? Paint code on Karmann paint badge is for Sahara, not Polaris.

Just wondering... Thanks. DCG

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Polaris is code 60 which this appears to be. My engine compartment has bronzed over the years due to engine heat like this has also.

Please advise circumstances regarding paint? Has it been repainted? Looks like engine bay is Sahara??? Paint code on Karmann paint badge is for Sahara, not Polaris.

Just wondering... Thanks. DCG

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Both door tag and engine label indicate Polaris (#60). The yellowing is typical for Polaris in the engine bay.

JohnInReno

Reaction score
Silver

The car was painted in 1975 by an ambitious body shop manager trying to keep his people busy. My dad (the dealer) agreed to allowing him to fix minor dings and the manager painted the whole car.

I don't know what 'Sahara' is but the original color was 'Polaris' as shown in the label on picture #8. The engine bay was not painted nor is the spare tire well in the pictures. The exterior paint is a close match to the original.

Hope this helps.

john

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
John, please be sure it goes to a forum member!! Please, or it will end up on one of those exotic dealer sites for twice the price! It looks like a lovely coupe!

JohnInReno

Reaction score
Good Home

John, please be sure it goes to a forum member!! Please, or it will end up on one of those exotic dealer sites for twice the price! It looks like a lovely coupe!

I have not been active in the forum but I posted here to see that it goes to a good home. I have seen the $79k adds for a repainted automatic and don't want that to happen to this machine.

john

jefftepper

Reaction score
Very nice car. I'm curious, is the total elapsed mileage from new 37K? The patina of use seems like the car has been enjoyed more than that. For example, the clutch pedal pad has wear that would indicate at least one trip around the clock. Also, I don't recall these cars coming with XWX tires from the factory. My recollection is that they came with XAS Michelins

JohnInReno

Reaction score
Very nice car. I'm curious, is the total elapsed mileage from new 37K? The patina of use seems like the car has been enjoyed more than that. For example, the clutch pedal pad has wear that would indicate at least one trip around the clock. Also, I don't recall these cars coming with XWX tires from the factory. My recollection is that they came with XAS Michelins

The actual mileage is 37K and well documented. The tires are not original but I believe the spare is. I used the spare once for about 50 miles and then put it back in the trunk.

My dad drove the car for a year and then suffered a stroke. He was able to drive again after years of physical therapy. He could shift ok but he couldn't turn the key so a start button was added to the left side. That may also explain the wear that you see on the clutch pedal.

The coupe had 26,966 on it when I registered it in Nevada. I have put about 10k miles on it in the last 15 years.

john

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
What? No flashlight? Horrors...!
The original invoice is amazing: $15,900 for this car in 1974. I didn't know they were that expensive even with the mandatory options. I have 4310008 with the same appointments so this is very informative.
Good luck with the sale, and am sorry you have to let her go.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hopefully the car will be loved as much if not more than the original owner.
Good luck with the sale. I'd interview the prospective buyer like they're applying for a job.

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
Family heirloom

John,

How very gallant of you to offer it here first - well done! I am confident that it will end up in very appreciative hands. At $15k it must have been $2=£1 in those days. Ah! happy days. The car appears to be totally unmolested to me so I am certain that a number of us would appreciate a suite of high definition photographs, if you get a mo. Best wishes, John

rb1971

Reaction score
This is a phenomenal looking car and a very fair price. Good luck to the seller and the buyer. Sorry that you are parting with a car that's been in your family so long, but hopefully it will go to a loving home.

tightbox

Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe this is still available! Great looking car and price. I'm pretty sure the very few remaining all original "survivor" cars will track the rest of the classic car market and become the most valuable over time.

scottd

Reaction score
This certainly appears to be a great deal if no rust. My (fjord blue) engine bay has same yellowing. Some one should grab this. Nice looking.

Scott