FS - Clamshell Tool Box

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've done a LOT of plastic welding (that term used loosely) with a soldering iron. If something is cracked or broken and you have the two pieces that go together perfectly it's quite easy to do with good results. If you have to cut and patch pieces it's harder but still doable. My son and I have used the cheap Harbor Freight welder with decent results but the best ones are when I don't need any additional plastic, just melt the existing plastic and move it around. That said, there a lot of good epoxies out there for automotive use that are amazing.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
At a motorcycle show one time I saw a tool demonstrated for fixing plastic body work, it would melt a metal tab into the plastic across the crack

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am restoring my tray, and cracked it cleaning it. The crack is small and I am using the JB weld to repair. Has anyone used fiberglass cloth to reinforce the back of the tray? I am thinking of using the fiberglass cloth and the JB weld rather than fiberglass resin. I am worried the fiberglass resin may damage the tray. I have had really good luck with the fiberglass cloth and the fiberglass resin repairing my F82 front spoiler when my wife took it out on one of those cement parting chocks

ALSO do you think painting it lessens the value of it?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is exactly what I did on a portion of the back panel (fiberglass with JB Weld). I also painted the shell.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks- I will post a picture when I get done. Amazing the JB weld says it is tan but it looks very similar to the color of my tray. I am going to go with fiberglass, JB weld and use the suggestion of warm grey paint- Wish me luck