FS: CSL engine

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
#2275265. LeZebre doesn’t have this VIN listed (doesn’t mean car doesn’t exist anymore though). I posted the VIN on the German forum too after the seller confirmed the number.

Im in touch with the seller and would gladly assist in insuring it gets to the corect car. MNNA

Last edited:

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
That would be someone's lucky day. Even if the matching chassis can't be found, it would still be the correct type motor for a injected CSL. In this case, it's more meaningful than a straight 3.0 motor in a CS/CSI.

Wladek

Reaction score
That would be someone's lucky day. Even if the matching chassis can't be found, it would still be the correct type motor for a injected CSL. In this case, it's more meaningful than a straight 3.0 motor in a CS/CSI.
Why do you think it's more meaningful, than CSI engine (i'm not saying about CS engine you also mentioned, because indeed it's completely different) if it will be non matching number? Both of my CSI engines have genuine stamps on blocks that they are genuine d-jet engines, both are 3003cm3, both have high compression piano pistons etc., so the difference is only vin. Block number/part number is also the same that was used in injected CSL.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
#s matching helps a bit on the price, but the VIN on an E9 says if it's a CSL or not.

#s matching is for cars where the VIN says nothing about the car.

E.g. a '67 Corvette per the VIN can be a 300hp 327, or a 435hp tri-power 427. W/o a buildsheet/protecto plate/tank sticker (the former and latter can even be faked), one must rely on the engine #s to determine what kind of Corvette it is.

But collectors with big bux demand 100% purity no matter what, so there you go.

pat cooks

Reaction score
the 3003cc CSil engine is the same as a 3.0 CSi but on first overbore of 0.25mm from memory, done to take it into the over 3000cc race class

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why do you think it's more meaningful, than CSI engine (i'm not saying about CS engine you also mentioned, because indeed it's completely different) if it will be non matching number? Both of my CSI engines have genuine stamps on blocks that they are genuine d-jet engines, both are 3003cm3, both have high compression piano pistons etc., so the difference is only vin. Block number/part number is also the same that was used in injected CSL.
I believe Mr. Cook is correct. The correct type for a 3003 CSL is harder to find than a correct type CS or CSI motor because they aren't as plentiful. It is still a significant upgrade in value and ownership pleasure to have a CSL with the right type motor even if the numbers don't match.

Wladek

Reaction score
I believe Mr. Cook is correct. The correct type for a 3003 CSL is harder to find than a correct type CS or CSI motor because they aren't as plentiful. It is still a significant upgrade in value and ownership pleasure to have a CSL with the right type motor even if the numbers don't match.
Early CSL engines wasn't overbored, this upgrade was made later, from 73' so CSL could officially took part in races with over 3L cars (as pat cooks mentioned). Pistons where the same 89,22, stroke was the same 80mm. Ok, not overbored CSI as early injected CSL was ca. 2999,72cc (everyone can calculate this), and overbored was 3003cc - what does it mean? It mean that between earlier & later CSL blocks is ca. 0,055mm difference in bore diameter.
The funny thing is none of new 89,25mm piston rings fit any of my CSI engines (even before honing), gap between rings edges mounted inside the cylinder is 0,6-0,7mm (before honing), so at least 0,2mm less than acceptable specs, what mean that each cylinder diameter is ca. 89,28-89,29mm (before honing), so let just say ca. 3003cc.