FS: Euro Hella/BMW H1 low beam lamp

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bottom line to me is that I only want matching low beam lamp company to high beam company.
I only want H1.
H1 bulb is what came on the car. It fits in the glove box.
I want to use the same Abdeckkappe.

No H4.
No bug eyed lenses.
No change of cover cap.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The difference in the Lo beam is US uses H4 Hi/Lo and euro uses H1 with 4w city light. I have not seen Bosch lamps here.

For the record, Hella makes a 5 3/4” H4 lens with a city light socket. I’ve never installed euro H4’s that didn’t have a city light socket, but they weren’t 5 3/4”. They are still thick lenses that stick out of the grill so there is that drawback…

The part number is: 002-850-031

9CFA60CE-9F30-45BB-AE9F-D691E4791F0C.jpeg

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I do agree with Don that perfectly renovated E9 (not E9 project with solutions off its era) can't live with compromises and in such a case Hella is the only way to go.

It would be interestng to find out if Hella is willing to produce another set of these low beams.

The question appears how to move on with renovation for period correct E9? Refresh old lights which are still widely available but require to buy several sets, or just wait for a good opportunity to buy NOS Hellas?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you been also considering BOSCH-made replacement?

I run Bosch H1 lamps on my coupe, and they work just as they should.
The main thing is that they do not give that menacing very dark look on the low beam lamp when turned off as the Hellas do, and I think that's something to take into consideration, at least I've been thinking of replacing the Bosch lamps just for that reason.

The ones I'm using:
Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 22.27.10.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 22.27.17.png

And they look like this on the car:

BMW five bar grill.jpeg

Compared to Hellas:

IMG_3334-original.jpeg

BMW-30CSi-1971-02.jpeg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m just not into accepting 2nd best on the headlights… or the grills or the hood or the doors or…I peddle our work esthetics on the exterior of the car as
“Leave It Alone”
We all know what was original and we all know there is no place for an H4 bulb in the tool box.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
“The main thing is that they do not give that menacing very dark look on the low beam lamp when turned off as the Hellas do, “

well said!

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
LOL
I remember when my Mustang was being restored. The shop wanted to use some 'fancy looking' headlights - the kind that were not to my liking. SUPER goofy looking and tacky.
I told them I'd get my own lights and let them install. I picked up a set of lights from Daniel Stern (I forget what the lights are - but they are replaceable H4 bulb type - this was 15 years ago). From the outside, you'd never think they were were special. Well, they aren't as such - but they are GOOD.
The shop installed them and were AMAZED at how well they did their job. The only drawback is that I do have to remove the reflector to replace the bulb... I think. Old domestic cars were not designed with changing bulbs in mind (like we have).

I have only driven that car a couple of times at night. But I do admit, they work just about as good as I have ever used (even through to the newer cars with HID's and such).

I am looking forward to driving my CS at night to check out what @sfdon has for me in that department. Oh yeah -looking forward to getting the rest of the car as well. :)

sdoyle

Reaction score
The main thing is that they do not give that menacing very dark look on the low beam lamp when turned off as the Hellas do, and I think that's something to take into consideration, at least I've been thinking of replacing the Bosch lamps just for that reason.

The ones I'm using:
View attachment 148331

View attachment 148332

View attachment 148333

Compared to Hellas:

View attachment 148334

View attachment 148335

The ones I'm using:
View attachment 148331

View attachment 148332

View attachment 148333

Compared to Hellas:

View attachment 148334

View attachment 148335
Hi Gransin,
Could you let me have the Bosch part numbers of both lamp types. Thank you, Sean.