FS: gas boot bung

loloe13

Reaction score
interested

Stan,
I am interested in 4 plugs if you can send them to Oz please.
Have you got in mind how much for each plug?
Gavin

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,
I am interested in 4 plugs if you can send them to Oz please.
Have you got in mind how much for each plug?
Gavin

Gavin, click the link above, shows pictures and price...
"My nephew made a mold and after using several different rubber compounds he has come up with a suitable replacement. I asked him what it would cost to produce based on a run of 40. His answer is $55.00 plus shipping or mailing in a bubble wrap each, which is a far cry from the NLA part from W & N."

loloe13

Reaction score
oh I see...
I must be dreaming, I thought your supplier was asking for $55 for the whole batch of 40 plugs plus shipping to you.. :)
I can understand such NLA can be costly.
Let me have a think about it.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
oh I see...
I must be dreaming, I thought your supplier was asking for $55 for the whole batch of 40 plugs plus shipping to you.. :)
I can understand such NLA can be costly.
Let me have a think about it.

That is why I am checking ahead of time prior to placing the order. The reverse engineer is my nephew. He created the mold. The manufacturer is my cousin who experimented with several types of rubber to see what would be closest to original. If I were ordering 1000 of them the price would be much lower. I have one sample and you can see it in the pictures to compare it with the one OEB I was lucky enough to find.

If everyone who was interested before is still interested, we can get that price. Mailing to OZ should not be too expensive.

brea

Reaction score
Alternative rubber plugs

I had a bag of some generic rubber bungs and they seemed to fit perfect plugging those holes and I think they only cost me about $1 for a pair. I may have some extras if somebody wants an alternative non-OEM rubber plug like these.

Attachments

• BMW CS 7-9-2014 076.jpg
    BMW CS 7-9-2014 076.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 118

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had a bag of some generic rubber bungs and they seemed to fit perfect plugging those holes and I think they only cost me about $1 for a pair. I may have some extras if somebody wants an alternative non-OEM rubber plug like these.

Would like to have known that 10 months ago!
What do they look like on the other side?

brea

Reaction score
Would like to have known that 10 months ago!
What do they look like on the other side?

I will post a picture later today and let you know how many extras I have. I know that they don't have the point like the OEM ones and they are flat with a indention similar to the tops of the OEM ones.

I guess I could have installed them the other direction and they would look very close to OEM from looking inside the trunk area.

brea

Reaction score
I will post a picture later today and let you know how many extras I have. I know that they don't have the point like the OEM ones and they are flat with a indention similar to the tops of the OEM ones.

I guess I could have installed them the other direction and they would look very close to OEM from looking inside the trunk area.

I found a picture of the other side that I took when I was swapping out some plastic plugs used in the engine area for access holes the PO made.

Attachments

• BMW CS 7-9-2014 087.jpg
    BMW CS 7-9-2014 087.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 94

brea

Reaction score
I have over 20 pairs extra. I would sell them for $1 a pair plus a self addressed postage paid return envelope that I could use to mail them back with.

PM me if interested.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unless you really want original looking bungs

This is a deal.
Please re-affirm your orders since $0.50 id a far cry from $55.00 each.
Stan

brea

Reaction score
Just One buck for two plugs

This is a deal.
Please re-affirm your orders since $0.50 id a far cry from $55.00 each.
Stan

Yes it is the deal of the day!

Just mail me a US $1 bill and a self addressed posted paid envelope and I will use that return envelope and add two of these rubber plugs in it and mail it back.

PM me and I will send you my mailing address if interested.

brea

Reaction score
I had used these same rubber plugs to replace a number of plastic ones for the numerous access holes the PO had used for rust abatement.

I then saw that the holes in the gas boot were the exact same size and so I tired them and they fit perfect.

Attachments

• Rubber bungs 001.jpg
    Rubber bungs 001.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Rubber bungs 006.jpg
    Rubber bungs 006.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 113

brea

Reaction score
Bernie,

what is the diameter of this plug?

These rubber bungs were made to fill a 12mm hole and have about 2.0mm lip which makes the overall diameter 16mm.

They fit snug and seal those gas boot holes which helps limit the fumes from entering the trunk area.

Last edited:

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
bungs

I would love two pairs if possible, but only one pair if you end up with lots of orders.

Thanks

Pete