Mobile : 62-8158830652
WhatsApp : 62-81287446580
f14750b994ac2e1a0eeb2577133a20a0.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo PB1-770M using Tapatalk

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Current $/£ exchange rate is about 1.35. $550 = £407!

Part number 51131811483 is available from -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BMW-E3-E9-Coupe-Headlight-Front-Lamp-Grille-N-S-OEM-51131811483/142660475786?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

at £363.65 ($490) from Latvia. Seller posts worldwide.

i do not quite follow the purpose of doing this, Dicky, @Dicky Ferdosalino, is an honorable guy here, he has top notch stuff and he shows it and puts his price, moreover he responds quickly and his shipping is excellent,

one can think his price it is high, low, or fair, what is wrong in this ?

i need an LH grille but i can not pay his price, so what ? he will sell to a better car than mine, and i will look elsewhere, absolutely fair

ok, you show an alternative, but look, i have been one week messaging with the latvian guys, and they are unable to produce a pic of the part they are selling, they ask for the “17 figures VIN number” of my car to check the correctness of the part number (clearly saying that they have no idea about what an old bmw is), and as they can not produce a single photo, i doubt they even have the part itself, maybe they have it but i do not know

meanwhile Dicky feels sad because someone rose a blurred alternative from somewhereelse that ends up being not quite a solid alternative

it has happened before**, when you compare things, you have to compare similar things otherwise you are comparing pears and apples, and they are not quite the same

** i can tell you a story of the long NLA NOS 60mm chromed exhaust tips’ barn find, that someone said were pricey when he compared to the “same” exhaust tips for a quarter the price, to end up being, the latter, tips for the 2800 and thus 55mm

and the currency conversion ? maybe the shipping is different, or maybe he can accept usd, but his bank charges him more for converting gbp ?

and last but not least i feel it is not elegant to show an alternative in a sellers’ thread, you can open a new thread and farewell...

i am sorry @Marco 54 but i can not follow your idea

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dear deQuincey

You are over-interpreting my brief comments.
I do not question the seller's integrity - I merely point out an apparent discrepancy in the exchange rate.
If the part is NOT available as advertised on e-Bay then that also is the nature of capitalism - 'caveat emptor'.
I simply mentioned the e-Bay listing in the interests of this community.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dear deQuincey

You are over-interpreting my brief comments.
I do not question the seller's integrity - I merely point out an apparent discrepancy in the exchange rate.
If the part is NOT available as advertised on e-Bay then that also is the nature of capitalism - 'caveat emptor'.
I simply mentioned the e-Bay listing in the interests of this community.

dear marco, i accept your point, and i kindly disagree

“caveat emptor” is exactly my point for a lack of comparability and my opposition to doing this within a FS thread of other forum member,
to an inexperienced eye, and to anyone that does not complete the route to check the second alternative you open, the motto that may remain in his head is that this seller is “more expensive than the market”, which is not necessarily true

i am sharing my opinion on the recurrency of this behaviour in some FS threads

an elegant possibility is to open a new thread, IMHO

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dear deQuincy

I have no wish to start World War 3!!!

However you appear to ascribe a malign motive on my part that was not present.
I had no intention of disparaging anyone - I was simply drawing attention to a listing that purports to sell the same item for less.

I cannot know that an e-Bay seller does not have the item listed. I presume good faith, as I assume you did yourself when you approached them.

As you said earlier it is up to each of us to determine what we are prepared to pay for anything.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not sure if Marco was posting to show an alternative source for the same thing, or just merely pointing out that this is the going rate for nos grilles to @floridabmx ?

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not sure if Marco was posting to show an alternative source for the same thing, or just merely pointing out that this is the going rate for nos grilles to @floridabmx ?

Hi Rob

You've got it in one! I was simply trying to say 'try this source first', as they appear to be cheaper; nothing more than that.

Cheers.

Marco

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Rob

You've got it in one! I was simply trying to say 'try this source first', as they appear to be cheaper; nothing more than that.

Cheers.

Marco

Well...may not be necessarily cheaper.

$550 shipped USD vs $490 + Unknown shipping from Latvia???

At any rate, it's usually not customary around here when someone posts a FOR SALE ad to just start posting competing ads. Comments are welcome (like @floridabmx ) unless it's really disparaging.

However, it may be warranted to show the going rate for things if some folks may think a price is out of line.

Last edited:

floridabmx

Reaction score
Wish I knew better I just gave away $600 worth of headlight bucket grills then. And now I need them for my new car :(