FS: NOS Gloria Avus 1 Fire Extinguisher SOLD

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Marcos
So how many do I need to be sure to have one that functions if there is a fire? Law of reducing returns?
I guess you will say buy a water Or foam one

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I can think of one thing slightly more embarrassing than a non period correct fire extinguisher. A period correct one that does not work when you have a fire in period correct car . We don’t rely on period correct, date marked, tyres, we change them out approx every 10 years even if not worn. Even 10 should probably be more like 8.

De Q, do you mean even my new, 2020 powder extinguisher has only a 50% chance of working? If so I am going to carry both of them at all times.

yes powder FE have that failure ratio, even if they are new or tested and checked
CO2, halon, and other gas FE are different

carrying a gas FE needs big and heavy bottles, in order to have only few seconds of service.

some of those gases are extremely bad for the environment, forbidden in europe, but permitted in the US for example

i made a proposal of a very effective FE, that is the one i use, very light, it always work, needs no checks, and the duration is 50 seconds, i explained this in lenght some time ago, it was not a lot of interest, but i think that you can still find the thread

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My thought to @Cornishman was to look at the one that @deQuincey posted. It appears to be highly effective. I watched some youtube videos on it.

i made a proposal of a very effective FE, that is the one i use, very light, it always work, needs no checks, and the duration is 50 seconds, i explained this in lenght some time ago, it was not a lot of interest, but i think that you can still find the thread

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you buy a bunch of lottery tickets instead, you have a better chance of winning than your car bursting into flames.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm quite surprised nobody on here has discussed what a period correct fire looks like?

Surely if you are going to the trouble of a period correct extinguisher you would want to get the fire right as well? Otherwise it will negatively impact value.
I've seen a couple of poor attempts at re-creating this online but none have got it quite right as most have used DIY or after market options for ignition and fuel.

For those considering this much desired after market option you need the following;

Leaded petrol - not that modern crap;
Asbestos heat lagging that will easily oxidise and release fibre when burnt so you can inhale it while crying;
Date stamped magnesium based engine parts and wheels;
Matching numbers block;
Existing engine bay oil leak;
And most importantly all original wiring loom and fuse fox, ideally with exposed wires and cut down nails acting as fuses;

Don't forget that if you own a CSL you may not be able to rely upon power steering fluid as a fuel, sound deadening or perspex windows depending of if you are RHD or LHD

If you live in colder climes I suggest also running your heater on full when attempting ignition as that will aid the supply of fresh air, so you can really get it going fast.

If anybody has trouble following these steps I think @Markos plans to upload a helpful step by step video.

Hope this helps.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would take it out of storage for car shows and put it next to my BMW labeled first aid kit with the original, and now useless, medications and bandaids.

Period correct just add a time machine.