FS: Very nice steering wheel

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
FWIW...These wheels can be converted to E3/E9 configuration fairly easily. I did so with a 2000cs factory option Nardi. Whether you'd want to is another story, Just sayin'...

Jim

Jim,

I think that is true for Nardi hubs that have a screw-on horn factory BMW horn ring. The same can be said for the multitude of factory wheels that had a detachable horn ring. This particular hub has no provisions for a horn ring. You would have to remove the brass plunger and tap the wheel for a horn ring. Not terribly difficult, but you could hit some clearance issues and precisely drilling and tapping holes isn't easy IMO. I'd hate to see someone jump on this thinking it's a simple swap.

s-l800.jpg

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Southeastern Wisconsin, Northeastern Indiana - sma
Marcos,

I made a bit of an overstatement in my original post and have since corrected it to reflect your reply - thank you.

The modification which I made to the old Nardi was relatively simple and did not require any drilling/tapping. It was originally configured exactly as the one in this original thread; a plunger, but no ring or tapped holes. My car and steering wheel are tucked away in the shop so I can't provide the actual photos but here's a near exact set-up which I lifted from a website:

The brass ring and plastic insulator shown here appears to be identical to the one I used and which I removed from an old MOMO adapter. The wire to the horn button is soldered to the backside of the brass and was positioned exactly the same distance from the hub center as that of the original (early) plunger. I removed the original plunger and it's insulator from the wheel, placed the horn button wire through the (now) empty plunger hole and then pressed the brass ring and its plastic case onto the hub. It's a very snug fit on the boss and sandwiched between the wheel and hub and has never moved an iota (I've had the wheel off a couple of times). I would have been a bit more difficult without the boss (as in the subject wheel) but I think still do-able. The turn signal cancellation tab is another issue and though my memory is foggy, I think there was no change necessary.

B5-M.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This stuff is fascinating to me so hopefully others get some information or enjoyment out of these deep dives...

Thanks for the clarification Jim! That approach sounds much easier. The pic above is a Nardi hub. I can't recall what type of horn ring Momo Hubs use, but I remember that it didn't have any screws. If Momo was smart like Nardi, they re-used a BMW part. I sold mine last year so I can't verify. There are three types of Nardi Hubs that I know of. The newest collapsable one above uses a pressed on ring according to your description (and picture). Prior to that the solid hubs had a brass/plastic ring with an integrated cancellation ring. The earliest Nardi hubs used the same ring as found below. This is a picture of a euro 2800CS sport wheel with spokes much like the 2002 wheel above. It seems that the factory wheels used a separate formed sheet metal cancellation ring that slipped onto the steering column. I had those on both of my steering columns. I can't tell from the pic but I bet that the wheel for sale above uses the same.

31302041292_37c27eeaae_b.jpg