Fuel Injection Upgrade - Why?

Bennett

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am checking to see what has been the most rewarding experience for those who have converted to fuel injected engines, either newer 3.5 models or just one of the 3.0 upgrades. Ease of tuning? Smoother acceleration? Consistent operation?

I am considering the upgrade and just wanted to get a poll on the pros and cons. My goal is to achieve a smoother idle and more modern feel from the engine response.

Bennett

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am checking to see what has been the most rewarding experience for those who have converted to fuel injected engines, either newer 3.5 models or just one of the 3.0 upgrades. Ease of tuning? Smoother acceleration? Consistent operation?

I am considering the upgrade and just wanted to get a poll on the pros and cons. My goal is to achieve a smoother idle and more modern feel from the engine response.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have not converted mine and my E9 idles better than the fuel injected E24... The E24 is superior in starting every time predictably, the E9 sometimes has dieseling when shutting engine off.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have not converted mine and my E9 idles better than the fuel injected E24... The E24 is superior in starting every time predictably, the E9 sometimes has dieseling when shutting engine off.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I got tired of the gas smell while driving and after pulling the car into the garage. The Zeniths generally work very well when perfectly setup, but it seems that you are constantly fiddling with it - with some trial and error kind of adjustments.

The EFI (depending on which system you use) can be very tunable. You can customize the cold starting, acceleration enrichments, precise timing, advance and retard settings temperature at which things happen, stoichometric setting and a host of other variables. The 3.0 can be made to idle very smoothly. There is software available to record and analyze the data from a run of the engine.

There is also a bit of fun in converting, and making the EFI system work in the old car.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I got tired of the gas smell while driving and after pulling the car into the garage. The Zeniths generally work very well when perfectly setup, but it seems that you are constantly fiddling with it - with some trial and error kind of adjustments.

The EFI (depending on which system you use) can be very tunable. You can customize the cold starting, acceleration enrichments, precise timing, advance and retard settings temperature at which things happen, stoichometric setting and a host of other variables. The 3.0 can be made to idle very smoothly. There is software available to record and analyze the data from a run of the engine.

There is also a bit of fun in converting, and making the EFI system work in the old car.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had my 2800 converted over all at once to a 3.5/EFI and 5 speed. The EFI makes it drive like a modern car - hands down. I would have to say the power now is completely linear. Starting is easy and I don't smell fuel. I would recommend it if you love the car and you plan on keep it. While there are many different setups, I had Carl at La Jolla do mine.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had my 2800 converted over all at once to a 3.5/EFI and 5 speed. The EFI makes it drive like a modern car - hands down. I would have to say the power now is completely linear. Starting is easy and I don't smell fuel. I would recommend it if you love the car and you plan on keep it. While there are many different setups, I had Carl at La Jolla do mine.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I second Bmwmadman. I have the exact same setup from Carl's shop (3.5L, 1.3 Motronic) and it makes a great car even more of a pleasure to drive. I've owned two carb'd coupes before: one with 3.0L; the other with a 3.5L (the same 3.5L in the injected coupe I now own) and it is a significant upgrade. Smooth , powerful, linear, no fumes, easy starting and no dieseling on shut down.

I have done just about every upgrade to a coupe one can do and the carb to EFI swap is hands down the best one I've experienced.

Walt

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I second Bmwmadman. I have the exact same setup from Carl's shop (3.5L, 1.3 Motronic) and it makes a great car even more of a pleasure to drive. I've owned two carb'd coupes before: one with 3.0L; the other with a 3.5L (the same 3.5L in the injected coupe I now own) and it is a significant upgrade. Smooth , powerful, linear, no fumes, easy starting and no dieseling on shut down.

I have done just about every upgrade to a coupe one can do and the carb to EFI swap is hands down the best one I've experienced.

Walt

gazzol

Reaction score
I'm a pro Injection Coupster also.
On a recent 460 mile round trip (430 on the motorway) my injected 3.5Ltr Coupe returned 27mpg at an average speed of 80mph!

gazzol

Reaction score
I'm a pro Injection Coupster also.
On a recent 460 mile round trip (430 on the motorway) my injected 3.5Ltr Coupe returned 27mpg at an average speed of 80mph!