Fuel Injectors

burky

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have just discovered that 4 of my injectors are not functioning, when they were installed 5 years ago they were supposedly fine , the motor has not run since.When I remove the injectors is it possible that they can be cleaned ? or do I just buy new? .Hopefully this is the last of a list of issues that I have come accross trying to start this motor. Thanks , and Merry Xmas to All

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did you try tapping with a small hammer and a big screwdriver?

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Did you try tapping with a small hammer and a big screwdriver?

If that doesn't work try a small screwdriver and a big hammer!
Suspect they are just gummed up, per Don's suggestion. I had mine cleaned/serviced a while back so a good local shop should be able to help if the tapping option doesn't fix it.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
My 2 cents ,Standard Motor Parts fj118 ....been using for some time now and no issues..Fraction of the cost of oem ( if you can find ) and better technology. Replace seals too .

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a huge problem with classic cars (not only) and new gas (E5, E10 ... maybe E15 in the future). The problems is the ethanol additive (5/10/15% accordingly as in the marking on the petrol station).

The ethanol is forced to be added in more and more percentage to make the fuel "more green". And the result is it becoming more green as there is a bacteria living in a tank after even a month of car standing. This bacteria is not helping to have a clear tank or fuel system in general as it is responsible for rust fleaking in the tank.

Additionally ethanol is hygroscopic which means it takes the water from the air.

After some time in the car standing still (starting few weeks) there is a "delamination" of the fuel. It is not a mixture after some time.

This is really huge problem as ethanol is not good for rubber either (hoses, seals, diaphragms).

Some of collectors are draining fuel from classic cars, some using additives (some are even to fight with bacteria) but none of this solution is the remedy.

None of the fuel components in the classic car is durable enough against ethanol additive and all the consquences (water, bacteria...) so even brand new components done with the same technology will soon be a scrap.

The only way to keep it working is to drive the car regularly to have fresh, mixed fuel and to tank the car on the gas stations where the fuel is refilled in the big tanks regularly.

-------------------

So your fuel system might be a victim of the ethanol additive and there is no good way to clean the injectors from rust ... it will be only partial success once the oxidation process has been started and achieved a stage where the injector gets sticky.

I would try to put the out and make a bench with the injector cleaner fluid being provided by the fuel pump into injector. It could be reused but with - at least - fuel filter connected in between.

burky

Site Donor
Reaction score
I tried the screwdriver /hammer approach, there was improvement, but not enough ,so I removed the injectors and will have them cleaned and tested.