Fuel Sending Unit

Haseeb

Reaction score
Hey folks, I’m selling off this Fuel Sending Unit that came out of an E3/Bavaria around a year and a half ago. It’s been sitting for a while, but I believe it still works fine

Condition: Normal/Used

Price: as usual, idk what this thing is exactly worth, I’ve seen some on here for not too much $$ and then I saw new ones for like $300 bucks. Just make a reasonable offer

Note: If you ordered from me before, I’ll take an additional 10% off of the offer (same for Markos and Dang).

Attachments

krauser

Reaction score
The sending units vary in length and have to do with the capacity (in liters) of the fuel tank. They are measured (in mm) from under the mounting point to the base. I'd guess this is a 217.5mm part# 62161350272. I'd say proper fit for early E3 only, E9 US cars are "taller" at around 252mm. I have a VDO chart that lists the **/** numbers on top of the sender and their corresponding fitment. When I come across it, I'll post the data for E3 and E9. Hope this helps clarify.

Best, krauser

Haseeb

Reaction score
The sending units vary in length and have to do with the capacity (in liters) of the fuel tank. They are measured (in mm) from under the mounting point to the base. I'd guess this is a 217.5mm part# 62161350272. I'd say proper fit for early E3 only, E9 US cars are "taller" at around 252mm. I have a VDO chart that lists the **/** numbers on top of the sender and their corresponding fitment. When I come across it, I'll post the data for E3 and E9. Hope this helps clarify.

Best, krauser
Thank you kindly that helps quite a bit!

Drew Gregg

Reaction score
I have a fuel smell in my trunk after opening it. It might be the seal under the sending unit. How is the unit removed from the trunk? Is the seal a gasket or a large "O" ring?

JayWltrs

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a fuel smell in my trunk after opening it. It might be the seal under the sending unit. How is the unit removed from the trunk? Is the seal a gasket or a large "O" ring?
Large ring available at most of the usual parts sources. There are many posts on removing the sender w different techniques. Most seem to place something like a large screw driver on the notches and tap with a hammer. Someone welded up teeth on a pipe to make a cool tool. I cut notches in a PVC pipe cap matching the head & it works fine.

JayWltrs

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I assumed it was screwed in and needed to be turned out. Always best to ask the forum.
I forgot, the blue books say to cross two screwdrivers, place then in the notches & twist. Apparently some folks can actually do that. My attempt was laughable.

Stevehose

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Don't want to use the hit technique without a brass or suitable tool to prevent sparks...I used the cross screwdriver technique. As noted above do a search, there are other sources of trunk fuel smell other than the sending unit.

Drew Gregg

Reaction score
I forgot, the blue books say to cross two screwdrivers, place then in the notches & twist. Apparently some folks can actually do that. My attempt was laughable.
I did some searches and found the 2002FAQ way to rebuild the sending unit. A pic shows the 3" PVC cap is notched to grab the notches on the sending unit. I have the "O" ring seal. Need to search the other ways I could get those fuel smells ,also.