Fuel tank question

Paul02

Reaction score
My other post indicates my intention of fitting an E12 , m535i engine into my 3.0cs coupe which is a late 73. I understand I need an injection fuel tank from a csi . Mine is the type that bolts in from the top in the boot. W and N want 768 euros just for the tank which I can't justify so if originality is not an issue could I use a custom made aluminium tank in the boot ( box shape ) and have the boot floor blanked or fabricated to look ok from underneath.
Thanks to Bert for another suggestion that I am checking out .
Paul

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do an FI conversion on my Coupe. I understand that you can add a nipple to the top of the tank for the return line. Most radiator shops can do it. At the same time you may want to have the tank refinished. I have an estimate from my local radiator shop to do both jobs and remove a dent in the tank as well for $175.00. If you experience starvation problems once you put the FI together you can adapt a fuel sender/in tank pre-pump from a newer car. Call Spence or Jim at Mesa Performance for the right unit. All together it is much cheaper to go this route then buying a new tank or having one made.

Good luck,
Mike

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Knock it off you guys- you must like work too much...

Simply get a 1992 318is fuel pump and twist it in like your current sender and add a e23 sender. Add some gas line extensions to make it hit the bottom of the tank and done...........

No repairs...
No outside pump...

Pick em up at the boneyard for 39 bucks...

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
sfdon

I'm in the process of converting to l-jet injection and I've never heard of using a 318is intank pump. I assume it has a return line conection. Can you elaborate. My tank only has one sender hole. Can I use the 31i8is pump and e23 sender? I was planning on getting the e21 sender from Carl Nelson along with the external pump.

John M
Go Giants!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I buy fuel line from autohausaz....

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=fvgfjg55kovwoab4emilqybk&pn=W0133-1661978,

W0133-1661978
Fuel Hose
$43.25
SALE

I get the pump for an E30, 1992 318is ...

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/imageexpand.aspx?imageurl=../secure/PartImages/16141181075.jpg

The 3 metal fuel lines running along the drivers side of a e23 at the boneyard.

A pipebending tool at homedepot or ebay or??....

http://compare.ebay.com/like/270403...ff5d94f&itemid=270403205390&ff4=263602_304662

Make sure you extend the metal pipes on the pump assembly with fuel line and hose clamps so that the sender and fuel pick up screen are at the same level

Since I pick up these pumps for 30 bucks at the yard- total cost is under 100 bucks.

BTW- I am a huge fan of Carl- This set up is for the serious DIY'er.
Whatever you get from La Jolla will work great of course.

Attachments

• fuel pump.jpg
    fuel pump.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 308

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I see said the blind man.

Pictures are worth 1000 words.

I'm using the fuel lines from my e12 parts car. I love that fact that I can do it without having to mount an external pump.

Thanks!

John M

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Paul,

In my recent experience I came across two senders that fit into the oval opening at the top of the pump assembly.

Part #16 12 1 153 050 is about 3 cm shorter than the stock CS sender (so it will not reach the bottom of the tank). I believe this is the best we can get.

Part # 16 14 1 152 266 is about 6 cm shorter than the stock CS sender (this being the first one I mistakenly purchased).

Regarding the in-tank pre-pump. In addition to extending the feed and return pipes as described above I had to extend the two electrical wires to the motor.

Note, you will still need an external main fuel pump. There is nice location just in front of the tank to place the pump.

Attachments

• Fuel-Pump1.jpg
    Fuel-Pump1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 254

Paul02

Reaction score
Thanks Sven and SFdon .
SFdon can I use the sender from the 318is E30 as the real oem cross reference you posted seems to suggest I can . But is there a reason you said get one from an E23 ?
Many thanks
Paul

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Besides coupes, I work on the e23 745i turbos [Euro] with the 100 liter fuel tank. I have a ton of used parts from 7ers so I just go with what I got that is free! Use the list to get what works that is cheapest....