Fuel Vapour Recovery System

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert35csi
Believe all US 3.0 CS had this fuel vapor recovery system. The clear blue rigid tubing connects to the plastic tank in the trunk, then it run through the right side of the passenger compartment, exits through the right bulk head, snakes through the left side of the engine compartment and finally terminates at the charcoal cannister which is mounted right below the battery tray. The clear tubing ends about right below where the coolant expansion tank is and is then connected to a 6x11mm rubber fuel hose which connects at the charcoal canister. Another fuel hose then is routed to the carb intake manifold.

This fuel recovery system uses a sealed gas tank cap, whereas the earlier cap just ventiliates into the atmosphere. Using the earlier vented cap will defeat the whole fuel recovery system.
This was the subject of a fairly lengthy post where I found this very good description of how it should work. When my CS was carb'd and using a low pressure rotary pump and a non return pressure regulator, no fuel was returned to the fuel tank and the vent nipple daylighted in the gas filler compartment. Now with a pressure regulator and full return loop I assume there is a bunch of vapour looking for a place to go and a fuel tank that needs to have air replace the fuel as it is being consumed (and creating a vacuum).

So fuel cap seal not withstanding does this system work and worth installing? The charcoal filter from my 76 2002 is available for this system but has three nipples. One to the expansion tank, one to the air intake and one (I'm assuming here) left open to allow air back into the fuel tank to replace the volume of fuel consumed.

Comments?

Doug