Full deal shops

stphers

Reaction score
How many shops are out there now that do most of the work themselves? I see most shops now, send their heads out to be done by someone else, send the blocks out to get stuff done, send stuff out to be welded, send stuff out for paint or powder coating, send trans to tranny shop, send diffs to a diff show, send items out to get polished, send wheels to a wheel shop etc etc etc I can see sending stuff to a machine shop, that is specialized equipment Do they just do the tearing down , ship it all out and then reassemble everything? Does anybody do most of this in house?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Almost no one. In the very high end world, like Canepa, Paul Russell, Motion Products, and Bob Smith Coachworks (even has his own chrome shop), they can do it all. But the places are huge and have huge pricetags.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree w @craterface. The operational requirements (epa, safety etc) to provide all those varied services require lots of space, experienced people and hence lots of money so for cars under say 500k, it makes sense to simply farm out to shops that specialize.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
At some point the graphs will cross and the price of restoration will exceed the worth of the car and then it becomes a labor of love. I do most of the stuff myself and therin lies the joy and offsets any ( well almost any) cost. I am training my kids to appreciate all this so when I am gone, they will not sell my cars for 50 cents on the dollar because they do not have bluetooth, ABS, heated seats etc.

Honolulu

Reaction score
lotsa luck... to us all... when we're gone.

my two daughters and wife will run, not walk, away from my CS, my bike, and whatever else I've lately driven.

So stay tuned... if I stuff it on the bike, someone may get a "deal" on the CS!