Gas and lead substitute necessary for '73?

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe cars imported into the US beginning in 1971 were required to be able to run on unleaded gas. Correct? If so, I don't need to add a substitute for my 1973 E9?

It also looks like the motor was at one time rebuilt by Bavarian. (Pop out sensor installed to insure if the motor overheated the warranty would be voided.) If that happened is it likely the seats would have been changed, if they were not originally hardened?

My car has a metric speedometer. I don't really know the car's history. How do I know ifd this car was imported into the US as new?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
You could ask Mobile Tradition if it was sold at a US dealer. They usually seem to have the car's original color, type, date of sale, and location of sale on file.

61porsche

Reaction score
heads

Aluminum heads were/ are built with hardened seats. No worry on unlead on that aspect.

Stefan

Reaction score
A recently thread http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6627&highlight=unleaded
with a lot of different opinions about this matter.

My opinion is that to add a lead-substitute into the gas tank is about the price for a 6 pack beer. I have planned to keep my car longer than a 6 pack.

When shopping liquid: One lead-substitute into gas tank and a 6 pack to me.....

In this way, so I assure myself that my car will live longer than me.

Cheers!