Gasket Maker - Intake Manifold

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Currently re-assembling the top end of my M30, and I realized that when I pulled the Starter Valve and Connection Flange from the manifold, there was no gasket between the Connection Flange and the manifold. There is a slight residue, so the last person to work on that part of the engine likely used a gasket maker instead of the OEM Gasket (11611730741) - of which production ended years ago and I cannot find any stock remaining.

What is this boards go-to gasket maker? Loctite 518?

(Picture Item 8)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 1.22.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 1.22.50 PM.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 49

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
either that or just cut your own gasket. my guess is this is not a high-pressure connection and either should work just fine as long as you have a good seal.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Get some gasket material, Autozone should sell it. Lay it over the manifold openings and tap easelly with a small hammer around the edges including the ports. If done properly you will end up with a nice gasket you can trace the others from or just do the same thing with each port. I had to do this for a Ferrari motor for which no gaskets were available and it worked perfectly.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
The problem with gasket maker etc, is if you put too much on it will get squeezed out on the sides and can contaminate your oil and block passages. I had an Etype and used it to seal up the cam covers. It wasn't great..at least for that application. I was also warned about the "leak" problem of the gasket maker after the fact. Luckily, and just scraped it off So after many tries I had the cam covers machined flat and no problems after that with a "cardboard" gasket

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I make my own gaskets if the original ones aren’t available. The problem with the cold start valve is that it is a fuel supply and most gasket maker materials are not fuel resistant.

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Currently re-assembling the top end of my M30, and I realized that when I pulled the Starter Valve and Connection Flange from the manifold, there was no gasket between the Connection Flange and the manifold. There is a slight residue, so the last person to work on that part of the engine likely used a gasket maker instead of the OEM Gasket (11611730741) - of which production ended years ago and I cannot find any stock remaining.

What is this boards go-to gasket maker? Loctite 518?

(Picture Item 8)
On further review (when cleaning the port), sure enough, there was remnants of an old paper gasket. Much like the C-pipe gaskets, it had become "one" with the accumulator, so it took the same method of scraping to get rid of it all.

Considering the potential of fuel contact, I've ordered gasket material and will make my own.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and replies.

Still on track to return the car to the road on my normal yearly goal of October 15 (when temperatures are dipping below the 90s during the day).

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Make ever so sure that your new home made gasket does not occlude the port it is sealing. The "cannon" gasket opening serves not only to deliver the cold start air from your AAV, it also has the long cold start injector shaft through and past the gasket. Getting sloppy on making a gasket too small will give you a low cold start idle.

Attachments

• 149CC074-74D3-489D-B790-F667718A675C.jpeg
    149CC074-74D3-489D-B790-F667718A675C.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 54

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Make ever so sure that your new home made gasket does not occlude the port it is sealing. The "cannon" gasket opening serves not only to deliver the cold start air from your AAV, it also has the long cold start injector shaft through and past the gasket. Getting sloppy on making a gasket too small will give you a low cold start idle.
Thanks - gasket material arrived today and I think I did a decent job. I made a few and chose the best one. The most difficult part was making that 15mm square. We'll see how the low idle is when I get it all back together and ready to run.