Getrag 260 in the E3/Bav

e30strube

Reaction score
Is the transmission mount for the 260 the same as the 265? I'm using the stock 735i mount that my M30 came out of and it seems to push the transmission to far up into the tunnel.

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
The 260 + 735i mounting plate will not bolt up to e3 tunnel mounts but I think easy to make an adapter. I was working on a solution but stopped half way. I will update this thread once I get it done.

e30strube

Reaction score
This is how I handled it (so far). This is an E28 transmission mount (part #23711128517) and the G260. I made the black plates with 3/32" steel and mounted them to the factory E3 rails. One of the holes (right side in the pic) lines up with the rail, so I used it for the plate and the mount. The plates extend beyond the factory rails by about 1.5" and allow the mount to bolt up. I think you could easily cut the "ear" without the bolt off and weld a larger plate to it if you wanted to bolt it up also. I went back and forth on whether that was really needed. The front most mount holes (lower part of the pic) nearly line up with the rubber/poly mounts to the transmission.

Transmission Mount.jpg

Reactions: Ezz

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is how I handled it (so far). This is an E28 transmission mount (part #23711128517) and the G260. I made the black plates with 3/32" steel and mounted them to the factory E3 rails. One of the holes (right side in the pic) lines up with the rail, so I used it for the plate and the mount. The plates extend beyond the factory rails by about 1.5" and allow the mount to bolt up. I think you could easily cut the "ear" without the bolt off and weld a larger plate to it if you wanted to bolt it up also. I went back and forth on whether that was really needed. The front most mount holes (lower part of the pic) nearly line up with the rubber/poly mounts to the transmission.

View attachment 154338
Neat solution. I like it and might copy!

e30strube

Reaction score
The E28 mount was narrower (left to right dimension) than the E32 mount for anyone wondering. It was hard to judge, but it also seems to lower the transmission to the correct elevation as well.

Jan Gullett

Reaction score
I was looking at Getrag 265 transmission mounts and wondering if the e30 M3 mount could be easily modified or used with a Coupe and Getrag 265 five speed conversion. Of the BMW cast mounts for the 265, it looks the like it might be the strongest. I have read the e30 M3 tunnel mounts are different than the other e30’s. Does anyone know how they compare to a Coupe?

Bearmw

Reaction score
After considering various options and pricing a custom driveshaft (about $1000) two of my friends are helping me customize one I have. One friend is a good welder and the other has a machine shop. What we are doing is taking the E30 "big guibo" driveshaft from an 87 325 eta and lengthening the rear section by about 5 1/4". I also have an E28 driveshaft that I will be using for the donor section. We are making a sleeve that will allow me to test fit it and then do final welding after. I will hopefully be able to post some pics soon.

Reactions: Ezz

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
After considering various options and pricing a custom driveshaft (about $1000) two of my friends are helping me customize one I have. One friend is a good welder and the other has a machine shop. What we are doing is taking the E30 "big guibo" driveshaft from an 87 325 eta and lengthening the rear section by about 5 1/4". I also have an E28 driveshaft that I will be using for the donor
section. We are making a sleeve that will allow me to test fit it and then do final welding after. I will hopefully be able to post some pics soon.
Looking forward to it!
I was exploring other options from e12, e28, e23….
Rock auto lists the length of the driveshafts but not sure how the measurement is taken (with or without the giubo.
This is an example but there are slightly longer or shorter
B26AB91D-4227-44B1-98D2-C848831667C6.jpeg

e30strube

Reaction score
Driveshaft Pro will make you a custom driveshaft for about $600. You give them what it mounts to at the front and back, dimensions from center support, and you get a new driveshaft in about a week, delivered.

Bearmw

Reaction score
Is that Driveshaft Pro price for a complete two-piece shaft with the proper ends? Have you had them do work for you? I will give them a call but am wondering about your experience.

Thanks

e30strube

Reaction score
I still need to install but it’s a complete unit. It’s balanced as a full unit and comes boxed joined with a new center support. Seems like a nice piece. You can also get different ends by just telling them the year and model of the car the parts came from… the transmission and the diff. Mine was a 735 and 535 so they can be different.

Bearmw

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will give them a call. BTW which shop.did you use? Driveshaft Pro list various locations.

e30strube

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will give them a call. BTW which shop.did you use? Driveshaft Pro list various locations.
I called the main number on the webpage, but no matter which you call, they will direct you to the right place. I can’t recall the store specifically, but they were friendly and will let you know which to call.

Bearmw

Reaction score
Update:

I got a driveshaft from Driveshaft Pro in Garden Grove installed and it fits like a glove. I like that it has clipped in u-joints. $635 shipped and delivery was prompt.

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is good to know. May I ask how you took the measurement?

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I made my own bracket that mounts to stock bolts. Not perfect, but will hold very well.
One thing with the transmission (before i make this bracket) it has very small clearance to the tunnel wall on the passenger side. I have new engine mount installed and made sure they were installed correctly.
IMG_4947.jpeg