Getrag 265 manual - auf Deutsch

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, very nice. Now if only you could find the replacement parts you would need for such a project.

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sven, When I've read about problems rebuilding the 265, mostly hear about difficulty of process. Didn't know there was a parts problem. Have heard M car people have switched to 265 due to parts problems with the 280 unit. What are the parts bottlenecks with the 265? Say for prospects of refreshing an undamaged unit? Seals? Syncros? Bearings? I've talked to an experienced builder who may have interest in making a video.
Paul

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank-you for sharing. This will come in handy as I want to renew all the bearings in mine and while in there may do synchros 1 and 2.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been looking into the subject of rebuilding the Getrag 265 for a while. I found the post below on MyE28.com from 2012. This is an email from a very well respected transmission rebuilder who has stopped working on them for lack of parts. Five years ago.

Metric Mechanic has apparently devised new tooling and parts to replace the unavailable parts with better ones, at a significant cost.
Supply and demand rule here.

There is also some good, but perhaps dated information on the tech section of this site that might be worth a look.
http://www.e9coupe.com/tech/

Last time I checked, the BMW rebuilt 4 speed ZF units could be had from an online BMW dealer at a somewhat reasonable price of $3100 or so, if you really need a good 4 speed.

Ian

by M5BB » Oct 09, 2012 3:27 PM

Ok, got a reply from Jim Blanton. Called but only got VM.
Emailed and got this answer.

Gary,
Sorry for the delayed reply, having trouble with my website contact webmail.

I could make this a long and boring story, but the bottomline, unfortunately, is that I no longer rebuild these transmissions for these reasons:
• the only parts available have to come from BMW and they have discontinued many - all the housings, 1st gearset, reverse gearset, 5th synchro (also fits 3rd/4th of the 260/6, so that's another one I don't rebuild), and other minor pieces that don't normally have to be replaced,
• or, what parts that are still supplied have increased in cost, damatically - e.g.,, 1st/2nd shift fork (almost always needs replacing) has tripled in cost ( $500 to $600) , input shaft/countershaft set ( also needed 9 times out of 10 rebuilds) has increased to about $2000,
• oddly enough, BMW still offers ZF rebuilt units for about $4500, which, of course, is only marginally higher than the sum of the parts needed to do a proper rebuild.
Sorry I don't have better news. If you would like more details let me know.

Thanks for your inquiry,
Jim Blanton Performance Gearing

DJSimca

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Always in awe with German efficiency [emoji6]

Sendt fra min SM-T815 med Tapatalk