Getrag 265 Shift Platform for E3s

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
What shift platform have folks be using when doing the Getrag 265 conversion on the Bavaria's?

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
I use the stock one that comes with the 265.
So that would be the one from the e24/28s, right? That is what we based our reproduction on but we've only fitted that shift platform on E9s. One of our customers is trying to use our version on his Bavaria and it doesn't seem to be the right geometry.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Parts catalogue shows the same platform for E3, E9, E12, E24 and E28. I guess the only thing that could be different is where the motor/trans is mounted in relation to the gear shift hole.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
Parts catalogue shows the same platform for E3, E9, E12, E24 and E28
The part number I used for the repro was 25 11 1 205 386 but that only shows it is for the E12, E24/28 and it has been NLA for years.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
So that would be the one from the e24/28s, right? That is what we based our reproduction on but we've only fitted that shift platform on E9s. One of our customers is trying to use our version on his Bavaria and it doesn't seem to be the right geometry.
Yes. I believe mine came from an e12. I have a different shift lever than the stock one.
What are the particular geometry problems?

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
Platform is too low and not quite centered on the shifter hole in the tunnel. I wonder is the transmission support bracket is not quite right and is lowering the transmission.

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello Hal and Mike, I didn't know you were talking about my car until I stumbled onto this. I finished this install of the Getrag 265/6 last August. Been driving ever since. The shifter platform I made from pieces of the four platforms the man gave me when I bought the transmission last May. I never liked how it worked out and when I saw Hal's platform, I dived on it. Took the old platform out and tried to fit the new one in. It was too low and seemed to be off center of the tunnel to the rear about 3/4 of a inch.
Called Hal and discussed situation. Decided to modify platform so that the mounting isolators would point downward instead of upward. It lifted the platform towards the tunnel and as a side note centered the shifter hole to fit the tunnel hole exactly. My question to you is; Is the shifter rod supposed to point directly into the shifter coupling like a driveshaft has to point directly into the transmission or is there a angle that is to be expected. The angle I speak of is from the shifter rod pin at the shifter to the shifter coupling? I am looking at the shifter rod like a drive shaft with U-joints at either end.
Hal's shifter bracket is a marvel of simplicity, it is strong and universal. A big improvement over what I had. It snick's into gear now. You can't hear it, you feel it.
I believe the tunnel height is different on a E3 versus a E9 but I don't one to compare to. Will add some photo's tomorrow.

Thank you.
Larry Louton

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Larry. I was hoping you would chime in with your experience. It will be interesting to see if this is a universal problem with the E3's, but your solution is easy enough to implement in passing.
I can't speak to the angle of the shifter rod on the E3's but there is always a small amount of deflection on the E9's and '02s. depending on how the shift tower is supported at the rear.
Hello Hal and Mike, I didn't know you were talking about my car until I stumbled onto this.