Getrag 5 speed OD Oil Seal Change

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have been searching but can’t find the right threads, can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I would like to change the 4 oil seals on my 265 OD trans before I fit it, these being:
Main input shaft seal
Output shaft seal
Gear change shaft seal
Speedo seal

What I have learnt so far is minimal:
For the output seal I have machined down a deep 30 mm socket to undo the nut. I understand that this nut is secured with locktight, so heat it first.

Can anyone give advice about changing the speedo drive shaft seal, or the other seals?

Thanks as ever.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have worked out how to do all of these seals apart from the speedo drive seal. Will post photos and description later.
I have the speedo drive out and it is split into two parts, the shaft and the housing. The housing clearly has a seal inside but I can’t see how to get it out. The blue book says, remove bush. But does not say how.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 10331846-BE9B-435E-B69F-2A1CD681AD07.jpeg
    10331846-BE9B-435E-B69F-2A1CD681AD07.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 71

stphers

Reaction score
3 things to do when doing the seals on the rear output shaft seal, take the seal housing off and fit the seal into that on the bench, then refit together, on the shifter seal, I always double up that seal ( if any will leak sooner, it is usually that one ) on the speedo seal, use a small punch and from the outside side of the bushing and punch the shim out of the housing towards the inside ( there is just a very small lip to catch your punch so be careful ), once the shim is out, you can see the seal, it is not the easiest to get out, sometimes they pop right out with a screwdriver , other times, I have had to completely destroy the seal to get the old one out. Don't forget when installing the new speedo seal, it goes in one way Once the seal is in, just tap the shim back in to hold the seal in place ( which the seal does not really need, it is tight ) Replace the o ring on the speedo drive as well

Thanks, Rick

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score