Gloomy Saturday

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
a very complex problem, not linear, and not clear what, where, who, and how ?

"will question fighting people that worship like them, look like them, eat like them, dress like them, speak the same language, and perhaps have the same uncle"

there is something intrinsic to being just like you are, so it might be Applied to both sides, but consider that didnt stop ukranians killing pro-Russians in the Donbass these last 8 years, apparently…and they were also members of the same family...also who started that ? i dont know

“Sadly, every Russian soldier has been exposed to government run news agencies etc since birth. They are just puppets thinking they are doing the right thing, rather than thinking. That's sad too. Different ways of stealing a life.”

yes, just like every other soldier…and citizen,...just put another country instead of "....every xxx soldier...", ethimologically soldier comes from "soldius" (latin) salary, we dont bite the hand that feeds...

“And that was a pre-nuclear world. There's lots of nukes now and I've always thought the only time you'll ever see them used, other than some rogue terrorists, is when a nuclear nation is backed into a corner and has nothing else to lose. Obviously Putin is threatened by NATO expanding to his door step, taking ex Soviet states in. How much will be push back?”

very good point, then add the economic pressure, and publicly sending weapons to enemies (the west has been sending weapons before, but that was not made public), it seems that there were many different interests in creating a war, it would benefit some, but always is the "suffer little children" those will be forgotten

"Putin has too much to lose to back down now.
And don't believe much of what is being portrayed as news during wars."

very true....

i think is terrible to even consider that someone can start a war for any interest and send people to kill others, but i do not have all the answers, that said war is unnaceptable

a war is an animal that has been fed for a while, you know when it starts but you can not be sure of when it will stop,

"I am concerned about the unbalanced character of the leader, but also the excessive ambition of the acolytes" Hieropo de Siracusa. S. I b.C.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
to me it has been an interesting read:

it is from 2014, and the guy died in 2020, so he can not say, "i did told you"

it seems that we have not learned much from the past...

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am very happy with Microsoft's actions.

And I will tell you why. I knew a couple of entrepreneurs that came up with a startup to deal with Russian DDOS attacks on service providers based on retaliating and attacking the attacker over the internet. The Russian mafias threatened their families and they moved on to a different business plan...

I never thought the private sector would step in, or step in before government. Refreshing.

I am also impressed with Zelensky.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am very happy with Microsoft's actions.

And I will tell you why. I knew a couple of entrepreneurs that came up with a startup to deal with Russian DDOS attacks on service providers based on retaliating and attacking the attacker over the internet. The Russian mafias threatened their families and they moved on to a different business plan...

I never thought the private sector would step in, or step in before government. Refreshing.

I am also impressed with Zelensky.
There is so much we don't see or hear about in today's "wars". What's important, what's vulnerable. It's beyond me.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is so much we don't see or hear about in today's "wars". What's important, what's vulnerable. It's beyond me.
If you are not in tech you do not hear. Folks at Microsoft have been telling me about the daily attacks from our adversaries at least since 2017. People that left Google have admitted to me Chinese penetration of their storage systems. The vulnerability of the semiconductor industry being concentrated in Taiwan is huge, TSMC has 54% of global market share, yet I just heard in the State of the Union Speech that Intel Corp. investing in factories in the US will be the answer. Intel has a very narrow application space (around processors mostly) and would not solve much. In the near term there is no other answer than committing to defend Taiwan in my opinion. And the Ukraine fiasco does very little to reassure Taiwan.

Then on to brag about how EV investment by Ford and GM is looking great, and insulting Tesla by not mentioning the main player and innovator behind US EVs. Sad. All because Tesla is not unionized? Intel is not unionized either.

Whatever you think of the speech, the technology part was fluff and PR by Intel and the President.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can't help thinking Germany and France are key players in this. Germany in particular has felt the worst effects of major wars and they will have an extreme reticence to engage Russia in direct confrontation. France is nuclear but would they....?

And it's kind of cool how the hackers like "Anonymous" are being true keyboard warriors, though it's unclear to me if it's in defence of Ukraine or to attack Russia. A new war zone for guerrillas?

Does the Russian public have the stomach if things get really tough at home? Let's hope not. Then again they are a stoic race.

I would like to see new stories for ourselves. The current stories seem to centre around money, power and status, all of which lead to contractive conclusions. The story of get a job, have a family, save for a house, climb the ladder, is a very commonly engaged story. Much as are the stories of religion, government, law. They have no basis in absolute reality.
( Possibly even absolute reality doesn't have a basis in absolute reality ). They are all widely accepted constructs in order to create cooperation. I think these old stories have run out of inspiration in the sense of - what does happiness mean?

Viva la revolution..... of the spirit! Everybody burn, er, recycle your money sucking, power hungry, status seeking E9s. Somebody else first though.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Can't help thinking Germany and France are key players in this. Germany in particular has felt the worst effects of major wars and they will have an extreme reticence to engage Russia in direct confrontation. France is nuclear but would they....?

And it's kind of cool how the hackers like "Anonymous" are being true keyboard warriors, though it's unclear to me if it's in defence of Ukraine or to attack Russia. A new war zone for guerrillas?

Does the Russian public have the stomach if things get really tough at home? Let's hope not. Then again they are a stoic race.

I would like to see new stories for ourselves. The current stories seem to centre around money, power and status, all of which lead to contractive conclusions. The story of get a job, have a family, save for a house, climb the ladder, is a very commonly engaged story. Much as are the stories of religion, government, law. They have no basis in absolute reality.
( Possibly even absolute reality doesn't have a basis in absolute reality ). They are all widely accepted constructs in order to create cooperation. I think these old stories have run out of inspiration in the sense of - what does happiness mean?

Viva la revolution..... of the spirit! Everybody burn, er, recycle your money sucking, power hungry, status seeking E9s. Somebody else first though.
My head just exploded.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Exploding heads are a good thing though is it because of my E9 profanity or because it's the end of the world?

Did I just kick myself out of the club?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tell us about the official government response of Oz to Ukraine situation?

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tell us about the official government response of Oz to Ukraine situation?
Hah! Our fearless leader has said we will demonstrate leadership by being in "lockstep" with the decisions of other leaders.
And he told the banks to watch out for any illegal activity. I thought they were supposed to that anyway. These are the banks BTW that a recent commission of enquiry found to have facilitated over 23 million instances of money laundering.

Though the Ukraine invasion sickens me personally most Australians I speak to view it rather abstractly as a news item. It's remote from us and we are relatively unaffected. Should the US directly militarily engage Putin with troops on the ground then I suppose we will go in as well, just as we have done in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan and many of the other US engagements. Speaking of which - what do you guys have against poor little Guatemala? 1954,1960, 1967-69?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wonder how legal a crowd funded bounty would be? Pretty sure it would raise a lot more than $1 million.
International law participants are equally sovereign states. There is no legislature, and it is not obligatory.

In other words, no legal problems.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am no longer burning Russian fossil fuel in my Notronic Korman engine. Scotty has sent me the plans to convert it to Dilithium Crystals....

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that we still do not have any way to re-cycle lithium batteries. My son worked at a battery start up for the last two years, bunch of MIT grads and the like. He said they are no closer. So there is a race between developing this technology and the potential influx of used batteries from the EV's. Allegedly a company here in Ma that is close but I believe more fluff than close.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Keep in mind that we still do not have any way to re-cycle lithium batteries.
It's happening...

"Redwood is based in Northern Nevada and is already receiving ~3 GWh annually of lithium-ion batteries already or about 45,000 cars or 20k tons/year of end-of-life batteries. Redwood’s technology recovers more than 95 percent of materials like nickel, cobalt, copper, aluminum, lithium and graphite in a lithium-ion battery.

Redwood then produces strategic battery materials, supplying battery manufacturing partners with anode copper foil and cathode active materials."

Redwood is located near the Tesla/Panasonic battery manufacturing facility for a reason...

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone else been getting calls from a +792 number?
Is it about your credit card? Your delinquent taxes? An offer to make an unrealistic amount of money for very little investment? A call from some supposed grandchild who needs money for bail? A deceased relative who has left you a windfall, however you must send them some cryptocurrency or gift cards before they can release the funds? Did I leave anything out?