Glove box resurrection - Is it possible?

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Guys - is it possible to get this back into some semblance of an "OK" looking glove box?

Trying to just hold the vinyl foam against its base is a challenge. It definitely seems like it would overcome any contact cement that seems to be the chosen path.

Any input would be appreciated.

20201122_161227.jpg
20201122_161020.jpg

never say impossible, but that looks challenging Tyson. i would work on little bits at a time. some contact cement and try pulling it over gently with straps.

Wurth contact cement is amazing, available on Amazon. I would heat the cover with a blow dryer, apply glue and then clamp for two days.

never say impossible, but that looks challenging Tyson. i would work on little bits at a time. some contact cement and try pulling it over gently with straps.

The straps are a good idea
I was wondering how I was going to hold it down.

@hbchris - I was wondering if heat would help. That's great to know and I'll grab some Wurth glue. If it's half as good as their other products, it'll be worth a shot.

yes, heat is a good idea as is the wurth cement. with straps, i would also use something in the other direction to distribute the pressure. probably some strips of plastic or wood.

I think you are going to need clamps, lots of them all around the perimeter. Put something like thin wood between the clamps and the vinyl to protect it and spread the force. I don't think straps will provide enough downforce.

I would use Chris’s recommendations but maybe clamp and glue both sections on different days. The face of the glovebox is mostly adhered but there is some separation.

@HBChris - which one of these is preferred?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201122-173417_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201122-173417_Chrome.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot_20201122-173324_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201122-173324_Chrome.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 147
I think you are going to need clamps, lots of them all around the perimeter. Put something like thin wood between the clamps and the vinyl to protect it and spread the force. I don't think straps will provide enough downforce.

Yea, I was thinking the same it's really only attached in the center most spot and loose around the entire perimeter.

On top of that, the metal base has surface rust so part of me wants to pull the whole thing off and prep the base correctly and the other part of me is thinking I'll likely not get it back on there square.

I have to say, the lower dash parts seem like a total afterthought compared to the over engineered, beautifully detailed upper dash. It's like they blew the whole budget on the upper part with the chrome and alum trim and then said... Uhh ohh...

Tyson, another alternative might be a vacuum bag - kind of like putting veneer on curved wood. everything depends on how flexible or rigid the foam is ... which is where the heat comes in.

Tyson, another alternative might be a vacuum bag - kind of like putting veneer on curved wood. everything depends on how flexible or rigid the foam is ... which is where the heat comes in.

Yea, that's an idea. I'll have to find a strong vacuum source. I think in the end it's going to take:

-Good base prep (rust conversion?)
- A steady, even heat source for an extended period of time (think tire warmers and core temps) with a hair dryer for spot heating
- LOTS of clamps and material to distribute the load
- Strong glue
-Loads of patience

Am I missing anything?

Yea, that's an idea. I'll have to find a strong vacuum source. I think in the end it's going to take:

-Good base prep (rust conversion?)
- A steady, even heat source for an extended period of time (think tire warmers and core temps) with a hair dryer for spot heating
- LOTS of clamps and material to distribute the load
- Strong glue
-Loads of patience

Am I missing anything?
A good IPA while it cures?

have you thought about trying to find a replacement? there's always the chance that this could crack or break while trying to redo this.

have you thought about trying to find a replacement? there's always the chance that this could crack or break while trying to redo this.

Yes, I have Scott but then I thought what have I got to loose? If it falls apart then I can try to find one. And as you know finding anything in good shape for these cars is a crap shoot at best!

Having said all that, you have a nice spare one for sale? ... LOL ;-)

Back