Votes: 14 93.3%
  • no

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I might be interested in a set, TBD on the end treatment
I wonder how the original ends were formed? if they made unique dies for each?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I might be interested in a set, TBD on the end treatment
I wonder how the original ends were formed? if they made unique dies for each?
Probably... When they planned on making tens of thousands of units, each piece costs much less.

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
Someone once said that Mercedes used the same trim and/or manufacturer at that time.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I might be interested in a set, TBD on the end cap solution
I wonder if they could be formed by hand?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
formed by hand is likely going to depend on what the material is. if it is stainless steel, then it could be formed + polished. if it is chromed ... it will have to be rechromed afterward. same if it is polished / ceramic coated aluminum ... or polished anodic ... you would have to work the ends before you finished the strips.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
My car is not near by to look at, but isn't the section 'hollow' for the fasteners, like a U channel, and the ends bent down to cover?
If the new part is a channel, you couldn't cut it to length or the channel cut would show, unless you bend the ends down, to do that it would have to be 'soft' aluminum

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My car is not near by to look at, but isn't the section 'hollow' for the fasteners, like a U channel, and the ends bent down to cover?
If the new part is a channel, you couldn't cut it to length or the channel cut would show, unless you bend the ends down, to do that it would have to be 'soft' aluminum
yes the original part is brite dipped aluminum. The reproduction will be aluminum. I need to follow up. My nephew is the middle man and I need to deal direct for faster (?) answers

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

The center is hollow. The ends are one piece with no visible seams.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mark, that is what I mean, to make an end like that you would need to flatten the material
Maybe it could be done by hand, or a jig in a vise or press

wcl4

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can someone clarify exactly which pieces are being offered here? I could be interested as well. Thanks.

NilsH

Site Donor
Reaction score
Furniture upholstery. Metal tack strips are available at amazon, finding exact width might be a problem and new holes in the card board is probably needed to match the spacing between spikes.

The tack strip surely must be used in some application other than this door strip...

Last edited:

NilsH

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Stan I assume the price indicated is without shipping. Any idea if the guy is willing ship to Europe and the cost for it?