Good looking 72 project

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Could be a deal if the body is super super solid and done right.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Could be just dirt on the bottom of those doors.

s-l1600.jpg

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a friend who is over his head trying to correct rust in a coupe that might be terminal. He is interested in just picking this up. Has anyone seen it? Condition of interior or quality of paint and body repairs?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a friend who is over his head trying to correct rust in a coupe that might be terminal. He is interested in just picking this up. Has anyone seen it? Condition of interior or quality of paint and body repairs?

I haven’t looked at the pics, but it does have work done on it. The pic that @teahead posted shows lower front fender work. Make know of the weld bead running vertically. Not any type of red flag but just and indicator that someone was mitigating some issue at some time.

0CC8B324-0483-4DCE-98BF-FF1459F3401B.jpeg

2002turbo

Reaction score
It appears they painted over rust ... already bubbling through lower door panels ... rust evident in rear shock towers ... and no photo of spare wheel well .... if I am correct the shiny paint job will have to be redone after the rust is properly abated. Ditto engine ... if they redid it when it was out, as they suggest, then it appears it was a sloppy redo .. the sump looks badly mutilated. And I would want to be sure the executor signed the title over legally.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
It appears they painted over rust ... already bubbling through lower door panels ... rust evident in rear shock towers ... and no photo of spare wheel well .... if I am correct the shiny paint job will have to be redone after the rust is properly abated. Ditto engine ... if they redid it when it was out, as they suggest, then it appears it was a sloppy redo .. the sump looks badly mutilated. And I would want to be sure the executor signed the title over legally.

Maybe, maybe not. The 'rust evident in rear shock towers' could be the factory adhesive aged on the Polaris paint (the combination looks a little orangish rust color). I had a Polaris csi that had shock towers that looked exactly the same but there was no corrosion. I agree with teahead, it could just be dirt at the bottom of the drivers door, the car looks like it's been sitting awhile.

I also agree with ccr2002, someone should go look at it. Looks like it has potential be a great start for someone.

byron77

Reaction score
Hi All,

New member here with an update on this car. I’ve been to see it: judging from the VIN it is in fact a 71 or 72 2800 cs, not a CSI. It’s structurally decent: that is rust on the underside of the door but otherwise seems reasonably solid overall, interior, carpets, etc are out so easy to floors. The car was recently painted to an OK standard, but the paint prep failed on the passenger fender and there are several bubbles. Otherwise looks decent. Later injection motor in it (sorry can’t more specific).

The car belong to Tom Colitt, an LA resident and Mercedes Pagoda mechanic who died recently and is as being sold together with a Pagoda by a friend Of his. Also in the estate, but not listed for sale, was a very dry ‘72 CSI which I bought and will post more about not least because I need some parts for it!

Happy to put interested parties in touch with the seller. I’m sorry I didn’t take any decent photos of the 2800 cs as was more occupied with the CSI but will be there again at the weekend.

2002turbo

Reaction score
That's odd. The eBay seller told me it was sold. He also got snarky when I asked about the negotiability of the title since the owner is no longer around to sign it. And finally the ad said the deceased's brother was the seller, not a "friend".

byron77

Reaction score
As far as I understand it the eBay buyer flaked and car is still for sale. No relation to the seller, dead guy or his brother. Just imparting some hopefully useful information.