Green Meanie Restoration......Finally

oilcan93

Reaction score
Aloha, fellas! Living on Maui has its challenges (don't worry; I'm not expecting a lot of sympathy here). And one of those is finding qualified people to work on our cars. I've been lucky enough to have the services of some of the greatest mechanical minds here in bringing the Green Meanie up to what is an exhilarating pleasure to drive. But, rust has taken hold around the rocker panel area and needs to be repaired pronto. I figure if I'm repairing rust, I might as well take care of the spots where there are wrinkles from the chair rail being applied too early after the last paint job some time ago and a few other imperfections.
I know I'll never convince my wife to let me paint the car twice in our lifetime. So, to that end I'm going for the whole enchilada and taking the entire car down to metal, completely repairing/replacing the rusty areas, and adding an air dam, roof hoop, and duck tail spoiler to a re-spray of Taiga. After speaking with most of the reputable shops on Maui (and what turned out to be a couple of not so reputable ones), it turns out they're too busy with insurance work to want a project that takes this much time. Apparently, there are lots of terrible drivers here and plenty of accidents. So, I hooked up with a fellow on the mainland who has Maui ties: Long Tran of LT Motorwerks. After speaking with him, I became convinced he is capable and even excited about the job. So, I'm shipping her off on Thursday......until it's done.

From those of you with experience in this arena, what items should I anticipate being difficult to find and get in front of quickly so I can avoid an issue? Things like the rubber door seals, etc....There are going to be enough variables in this project; I'd like to be proactive on avoiding as many problems as possible
I'm also leaning towards a stainless steel exhaust to supplement the Stahl headers. Does anyone have a sourcing recommendation?
Mahalo for your input, guys! I'm really excited to finally have some movement on this project. After this......THE INTERIOR!!!

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does this mean there's no more joy rides through the cane fields ?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Be sure to refinish the belt trim and have body shop match it to the body before painting. Use Speedway in Santa Ana. For exhaust see OCCoupe's posts, he bought stainless from Fritzbits in the U.K., great quality and nice sound, not loud and very reasonable.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
what ever money you have stored
use it now for anything you can get from walleshesch in germany
fairly good pricing and all orders are a flat 45.00 so order a bunch at a time.
also bmw of south atlanta has amazing pricing for a dealer and they have stuff
walleys doesnt and vica versa.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Hi Alan
Reading your last post, ' all orders are a flat $45' is that right?
I'm hopefully done with WN now, but if I ever do another one that is news to me, and anyone else down under, given the DHL shipping costs I've had to pay in the past.

John

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Hi Alan
Reading your last post, ' all orders are a flat $45' is that right?
I'm hopefully done with WN now, but if I ever do another one that is news to me, and anyone else down under, given the DHL shipping costs I've had to pay in the past.

John

Hi John, I suspect the shipping cost may be cheaper to US (?) ...the email I got from Walloths was for $75 euros to OZ ( equates to about $78 USD )

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Get your beltline shims from Carl now and give to painter.
It's important!

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Need to know more about beltline shims!

I got interested and sent a mail to Carl, asking what they look like and how thick they are, this was his answer: They are barely visible when installed. .2 mm stand off
I'll have to buy a set for my car, didn't even know they existed :)

oilcan93

Reaction score
The beltline shims were definitely on my radar as that is one of my problems now....wrinkles in the paint around the trim from putting it on too early. I really appreciate you fellas taking time to leave input!!! Mahalo

oilcan93

Reaction score
One more thing....aren't the aluminum trim pieces that go around the top of the window frame and run from front to back along the roofline still available? Anybody got a part#? Is it
51131813025 and 51131813026?

Last edited:

Mike Pelly

Reaction score
One more thing....aren't the aluminum trim pieces that go around the top of the window frame and run from front to back along the roofline still available? Anybody got a part#? Is it
51131813025 and 51131813026?
i just purchased three sets of these from the dealer (one for me and two for friends)- no shipping! One side was NLA for a while but all is okay now