Greetings from SoCal

johnl

Reaction score
I've been "lurking" here for about a month and now can formally introduce myself. My name is John Lazenby and we've just purchased a very nice one owner (e3) '72 Bavaria. I've known of this car for years and the original owners from day one when it was picked up at the dock in NJ. Many stories to share about this car's history but that will come later.

My friends Paul Cain and Chris Macha, both on this server assisted me in checking the car out and currently the car has about 20 miles on it since a full mechanical and some cosmetic restoration. Too many details to cover at this time but I'm in the process of changing out the fresh 3 speed Auto to a 5 speed manual.

I've been around BMWs since the middle '60's and this makes number 11 that we've owned. We've come full circle as our first was a 1972 Bavaria 4 speed in Agava, this one is Sahara Beige

A couple of photos attached for your review and there is one of the driver's door arm rest that decided to break this afternoon. If anyone can direct me to a replacement piece I'd be grateful.

Attachments

• IMG_2298.jpg
    IMG_2298.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_2297.jpg
    IMG_2297.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2308.JPG
    IMG_2308.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 189

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase John. I have never seen such an original and clean Bav before, the 5 speed will turn it into a sweet driver.

John worked for Schneider Motors in the 60s, one of the earliest BMW dealers in the OC until he had a falling out with Hoffman. John would pick up NK sedans from the port in Long Beach. He also has several vintage Bugs and a fleet of 50s Chrysler Letter cars. If you have ever bought Royze carb kits they came from John.

johnl

Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase John. I have never seen such an original and clean Bav before, the 5 speed will turn it into a sweet driver.

John worked for Schneider Motors in the 60s, one of the earliest BMW dealers in the OC until he had a falling out with Hoffman. John would pick up NK sedans from the port in Long Beach. He also has several vintage Bugs and a fleet of 50s Chrysler Letter cars. If you have ever bought Royze carb kits they came from John.

Chris, Thanks for the kind words. Schneider Motors (Joe Schneider) was the FIRST Orange County BMW dealer. Going to the docks to pick up the new cars and drive them back to his dealership was my first experience with the mark and I've been a fan ever since.

I met Joe in 1963 when he did VW and Porsche repair. A great guy and was always there for me with my needs. Today Joe is retired and lives in Anaheim but I haven't seen him since he retirement party some years ago.

Attached is a photo of Joe and myself at his retirement..

Attachments

• John & Joe March 22, 1997 sm.jpg
    John & Joe March 22, 1997 sm.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 189

tmason

Reaction score
John
I think I met his son Norbert,he lives in Graeagle,Ca and is a very nice guy as well!
Congrads on your purchase,looks very nice!
Tim

johnl

Reaction score
John
I think I met his son Norbert,he lives in Graeagle,Ca and is a very nice guy as well!
Congrads on your purchase,looks very nice!
Tim

Tim,

I remember when Erica, Norbert's mother was carrying him the womb........... And yes, he really was a great guy and his parents were proud of him. He took over the business for a period when Joe retired.

Here is another story for you all. If you've seen the Automobile Quarterly Posters you are probably aware that there is a pre war and post war one. On the post war example is Joe's 2000cs in white.

I use to drive that car from Anaheim to Riverside to pick up parts. It was such an oddity that people would stop me and want to know what it was. Also, for you local guys that was before the 91 freeway was completed between the two cities. It was a "country drive".

Attached is a photo of that very car at Joe's retirement gathering. It was for sale at that time and I thoughts of making the purchase but didn't pull the trigger. Don't know what became of it.

Attachments

• Joe's 1967 2000CS Coupe, March 22, 1997 sm.jpg
    Joe's 1967 2000CS Coupe, March 22, 1997 sm.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 178

tmason

Reaction score
It's a Small World isn't! Norbert had a 2800cs in Graeagle for sale and that is how I met him.The car had an Alpina engine from a wreck 635 his Dad had purchased and he let me test drive it around one weekend while camping up there.He sold it to someone here a year or so ago with the Schneider BMW license plate frames on it :)

tmason

Reaction score
Norbert did have a couple of extra's hanging on the wall but wouldn't part with them.Next summer I'll stop in with some beer and try again.John if you search Graeagle in cars section Norbert had his phone # on his car.

johnl

Reaction score
It's a Small World isn't! Norbert had a 2800cs in Graeagle for sale and that is how I met him.The car had an Alpina engine from a wreck 635 his Dad had purchased and he let me test drive it around one weekend while camping up there.He sold it to someone here a year or so ago with the Schneider BMW license plate frames on it :)

If you see Norbert please tell him I said hello and hope he and the family are doing well. Attached is a photo of him at his father's retirement. Also a photo of a lighter that Joe offered when the dealership opened. I still have it "never used" and consider it one of my more prized items of that era of my life.

Attachments

• Norber Schneider, March 22, 1997 sm.jpg
    Norber Schneider, March 22, 1997 sm.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Schneidder Motors Lighter given to me by Joe in 1966-1 sm.JPG
    Schneidder Motors Lighter given to me by Joe in 1966-1 sm.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Schneider Motors lighter with 2000CS Coupe displayed-1 sm.JPG
    Schneider Motors lighter with 2000CS Coupe displayed-1 sm.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 180

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
2000cs lighter

I bet Lorenzo doesn't have one of those!

Fantastic e3. Great story. Look forward to reading more. Sounds like you have much to share. Best of luck.

johnl

Reaction score
Ed G;1 05148 said:
I bet Lorenzo doesn't have one of those!

Fantastic e3. Great story. Look forward to reading more. Sounds like you have much to share. Best of luck.

Ed, Pleased you enjoyed some history. I have MANY more stories to share regarding the mark. After just parting with our 01 E39 M5 I think we are both more excited about the E3. It brings back great memories of days long ago.

As with all of our collector cars we've met some great folks along the way and that is what becomes far more important than the cars when the dust settles. If it weren't for Chris Macha and Paul Cain we probably wouldn't have the E3 in our garage now. Just an example of two great friends I made several years ago and look where it has taken us.

RonP

Reaction score
Congrats, John! I am glad you replaced the M5 with a classic. I can remember waiting in line on Saturdays at Schnieder Motors as he was "first come, first served" then. The line would start about 6:00 a.m. and they would stay until the work was done.....then you could get yelled at by Erica or Anya before you left! If you haven't found the door pull yet, I am sure I have 4 or 5 for you. Let me know.