Greetings! New Bay Area, CA e9 owner!!!

IBChumpy

Reaction score
Greetings e9 family and thank you for having in the forum. Ownership of an e9 coupe has been a dream and finally 2 years ago, I had the opportunity buy one. I had been bumping around year to year looking for the perfect e9. I had almost given up my search and one evening I found myself on Craigslist looking at a 1973 3.0cs(a) at an unbelievable price. I called the owner immediately and less than 24 hours later I was the proud owner of an all original California owned 1973 3.0cs. Right off there was an existent fuel and given rust problems. No problem. I had the gas tank treated, replaced the fuel filter and........ still would not run. Okay great, the Zenith carbs looked a little shot, but no worries. I started to look around and then discovered e9coupe.com and realized I may in for more than what I bargained for.

Let’s fast forward 2 years down the road. For the past 2 years my wife’s support had gone from, “it’s your dream car go ahead and do it” to “how long is this rusty POS going to sit in the garage?” Well, after tinkering with the car and the occasional night of staring at her imagining my first coastal drive down Highway 1, I convinced myself that this is the right time. I’d done all my homework and was finally ready to get this beauty on the road. A month ago I had her towed to my mechanic and proudly stated “Let’s get her running!” Day by day, the optimism in my mechanics voice faded. I knew it was a bad sign when he sent me to the best carb rebuild pro in the Bay Area. Carb guy states “rebuilds can be done for $$$$ but I don’t want to do it, nor will I guarantee it.” This didn’t include the rust repair costs. Not to be deterred from my coastal goal, I inquired about other options.…. Enter parts car coupe #2 1971 2800cs.

To all the e9 dreamers – DO NOT UNDER-ESTIMATE the costs and time involving e9 restoration. There’s a hard reality of rightfully restoring an e9. Now I am the proud owner of 2 parked dream cars. The other night, I had a bottle of wine to find comfort in the fact after pulling up carpet and discovering 2.5 missing floor boards, “Ahhh” I signed, “I’m a true e9 owner!” Other nights, I find myself trying to solve an ancient e9 riddle, does 1 parts car plus 1 other parts car equal 1 running car?

Chumpy

Last edited:

IBChumpy

Reaction score
IMG_1280.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1282.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1278.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1277.jpg
[/IMG]
ibchumpy

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome! It must be frustrating to wait more than two years for the maiden trip. If your mechanic is involved it shouldn't take that long to get the engine to turn. You can get carbs ready to install if the rebuild is not looking good. Let me know if you need another local mechanic that can sort this out.

61porsche

Reaction score
Newcomer Welcome!

We are a family here. Sometimes we may disagree as to means; but rest assured we're here to help. I second the motion for a change in the mechanic that takes your money and won't stand behind the work.

Zenith rebuilding- from the undisputed master guru of E9 wisdom- Bluemax and the master of all carb kits- Mr. Royze himself :

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3538&highlight=zenith

The car should run with minmal work. May run like sh... till you get it sorted, but it should run. See what the wifey has to say then! At least scare the neighbor's dog or cat that's been eyeing up your shiny hood as a new bed.

Think of it this way- these cars have 100's of thousands of miles on some of them; if it spins, chances are it isn't that bad. And you've got two to blow up!

Seriously though, just ask. It might just work.:)

rb1971

Reaction score
Bay Area Mechanics

Don't know who you are using, but I use a BMW mechanic in downtown SF that actually owns and drives an E9 (a really nice triple carb one). It's about the nicest one I have ever seen. He loves these cars and knows them inside-and-out.

Right now he's working on a big E9 project for me (more info later), but it definitely would not hurt to talk to Dave at Ottowerks.

IBChumpy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. The white 2800 has a nice set of Webers on them which I'm hoping should be an easy swap? The Zeniths on the 3.0 were in pretty bad shape when I first picked up the car. At some point there was a pretty good fire around the carbs which also melted the filters. There is also a good amount of water in the fuel lines. The engine was able to turn over fine with fuel directly poured into the carbs. I live in the East Bay so getting the car to S.F. is impossible right now. I will definitely check out Ottowerks the next time I'm in S.F. We also own a '01 540i Wagon and a '02 X5, so good BMW mechanics at good prices are a bonus.

BTW - The guy who sold me the 2800 also has a 3.0 shell. It is a salvage title that he had been using for a parts car. It's pretty well "weathered" but I believe he may be trying to sell it for anyone interested.