Ground Control Camber Plates

Rek

Reaction score
Has anyone used these for an E9. They make them for an E24 but the part number on RealOEM is the same as ours.

I need slightly more camber than the CN plates and whilst I have solid adjustable plates which give me the required degrees, it makes the car ride like the Flintstones car on UK roads.

Thankfully, unlike Freds car, my feet don't go through the floor anymore

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Would it be reasonable to make short slots in the tops of your fender ? If there were concerns about structural strength, you could make some top plates from either worn out strut bearings or perhaps from some thick aluminum stock. If you glue these top plates to the tops of the fender they you can mark them for degrees of camber.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
the question is whether they will work without the coilover suspension.

I would definitely ask them directly, and call if you can. They were helpful answering my dumb questions. Here's the listed contact info: "Technical advice is available, 9-5, M-F at Ground Control to help you configure your suspension. Please do not hesitate to drop us a line at (530) 677-8600 or send us an email at [email protected]!"

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
8114F4C5-C0D0-4018-BE7E-581F74ADC338.jpeg
@Rek what size tire & rim are you going to use?
I have GC plates running 16 x 8 bbs Rs wheels and Toyo 205/45 tires.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I use the GC plates on stock struts. Very pleased with them.

EDIT-I should clarify I use their coil overs as well, but I have not modified the strut. They just set in the stock spring perch.

Last edited:

Rek

Reaction score
I would definitely ask them directly, and call if you can. They were helpful answering my dumb questions. Here's the listed contact info: "Technical advice is available, 9-5, M-F at Ground Control to help you configure your suspension. Please do not hesitate to drop us a line at (530) 677-8600 or send us an email at [email protected]!"

Thanks for this. I have been in contact but they cannot provide the degrees of negative camber that can be added. Do these adjustable Camber Plates offer more negative camber than CN fixed camber plates?

Donovan said there was 46mm of adjustment possible but some of this might be adding positive camber.

I am running 17" x 8" Alpina wheels and needs a few more degrees to enable the bottom of the coilovers to clear the side of the wheel. I bought some spacers but don't really want to use them if I don't need to.

frogisland

Reaction score
needs a few more degrees to enable the bottom of the coilovers to clear the side of the wheel

In which case, adding more negative camber via the top mount won't solve your problem. Remember the strut body/spindle/hub/wheel are all in a fixed position! Adding negative camber just rotates the whole assembly in at the top mount. If you use spacers then you may hit the inner fender with the top of the tyre, in which case adjustable top mounts may help. If more negative camber is required you could always slot your inner wing holes as per many of the race cars ;)

If you really need to change the strut/spindle inclination, a drastic move is to retube the struts (and with height adjustable threaded tubes at that). BTW, e12 struts add positive camber, i.e the inclination angle hub spindle to strut body is greater than the e9 (if i recall rightly it is about 2.3 degrees difference). The e12 strut is an option, the increased inclination moves the top of the wheel away from the (spring area) of the strut body, you could then use adjustable top mounts to reintroduce negative camber. Suspect it is a road car so drastic negative camber is not required. The e12 strut also gives you the option of using e12 M535i or early e24 struts with the larger diameter spindle. The e9 hub still fits, its the increased internal diameter of the bearings that takes up the larger diameter of the spindle, the outer diameter of the bearings are the same.

Last edited:

Rek

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I get the fact that the whole assembly is fixed so camber is not the issue. I already have Gaz Shocks coilovers with height adjustable struts and I don't want a thinner tyre at the front.

The solution might be the spacers but this might not give me enough room. I think I will take some pictures and post them, as this will explain the issues I have which is that the springs do not allow a lot of movement and get coilbound at the extreme. I will post this as a separate thread.

Rek

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer Barry but I feel I need to do a bit of research first. Translated, that means I have to get it all wrong a few mores times before tripping over the solution. :)