Group Buy - Hella LED Center Brake Light.

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
I was formerly able to get a nice Hella LED center brake light for use in boosting visibility and triggering the 'Startle Reflex' in 'sleepy drivers' behind us. This is the 'model 5238' LED self adhesive center brake light with an adjustable plate to allow aiming the light beam (hot spot) at the opposition! The 12 LEDs are mounted on a plate, behind individual 'lenses' that focus the light into a square beam -- and the plate has a pivot point allowing you to aim it up and down for maximum effectiveness ... straight into the eyeballs of drivers in following traffic.

Sadly, the source dried up, and the last few in the system went up in price... time passed, and I continued to get questions about this nice unit. I have been pestered on other forums, and have mentioned it here as well. So I finally got on my former suppliers and guess what - Somehow, they are now available again!

Of course, Hella USA does not stock or sell them, so I poked around on their international sites and found them in NEW ZEALAND. From that site, I found the official Hella part number (and legacy part number) and bounced this off my US contact. They have agreed to import these (I am enrolled as a reseller with Hella). They warn there is a 12 week lead time, maybe they are being rowed across the ocean in a dinghy?

This is 'Special Order' from Hella New Zealand through the US Hella warehouse, and (I couldn't believe it) the cost went DOWN, so I am now selling them at $99 per, instead of $132. And because I love you all, I am including the correct wire connectors to plug into the brake light circuit without cutting or damaging the wires. Plug and Play. No extra charge.

This order will be WELL over a dozen, easily, and might get ridiculous if everyone wants one or two. But don't worry, I can handle it. Plus, lower shipping cost inbound will help keep my costs down. Shipping to you will be low since they are light.

Some pictures are attached, look and decide if you would like to 'Be Seen, and Not Hurt.' People say 'they look stock' and 'easy to hook up.' Both true. Installation is at your discretion on the inside of the rear window, top or bottom are typical. Self stick adhesive (3M VHB = Very High Bond strength).

Anybody interested? Shoot me a message or post your order here (quantity and vehicle used in, so I can wire it for simple installation).

Details - $99 each plus shipping, 12 week lead time, and wired for your car - Plug'n'Play.
Payment - A $60 deposit (each light) is appreciated, but not mandatory, and guarantees your name is on one.

Now, be aware they also have versions for rear window angles that are flatter (model 5237) and more upright (model 5239). Ask me for details if this might be of interest to you.

EDIT- I added pictures of an install in a 2002, top and bottom of the glass. Not lighted, but at least you can see what it looks like installed.

Attachments

• P8131360.JPG
    P8131360.JPG
    475 KB · Views: 171
  • P9191564.JPG
    P9191564.JPG
    440.8 KB · Views: 165
  • LightedView.png
    LightedView.png
    148.2 KB · Views: 172
  • BMW_2002_CHMSL_4.jpg
    BMW_2002_CHMSL_4.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 152
  • BMW_2002_CHMSL_6.jpg
    BMW_2002_CHMSL_6.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
UPDATE _ UPDATE _ UPDATE

OK, this is getting better every day! I put this post up on several vintage BMW forums, and have gotten good response.
Three are going to members here, and Thirty-One on other forums.

Predicted lead time (order to delivery) was 12 weeks, but I was contacted by Hella that there 'may' be a chance of shorter lead time.

Last minute guys - you have two days before the order deadline, this Friday. Get a pm to me or wait for my announcement that they have arrived, and we''ll see if there are any unclaimed extras. Pre-wired, ready to plug in and light up the night.

Same deal, same price: Send me your email, name, username. Your $60 deposit puts you on the order list, no deposit puts you on the wait list.
Deposits by PayPal to [email protected], with the same information in the notes.

FYI - I am also ordering two each of the other variants (#5237 for flatter, and #5239 for steeper back window angles) just in case...

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
UPDATE #2
Ordered 45 lights on May 7, and the requests keep rolling in.
Any others who want one, let me know ASAP, I will put your name on the wait list.
These will be wired for plug-in installation, no wire cutting or such-like.

Here's the kicker- anticipated delivery TO ME is August 5, 2021. Sorry, I guess they are being transported by rowboat, and you know how long that takes!

If we all cross our fingers, and maybe air-drop some Espresso to the guy doing the rowing, they'll get here sooner?

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
LIGHTS ARE IN HOUSE!

I have been building them to fit E3 and E9 cars, and writing instructions, and now I am getting in touch with those who have sent me a deposit.

There are five of you who've paid a deposit, one on the 'wait list'. I am sending invoices for final balance due, so don't wait, act today! Sorry, I have been watching info-mercials... forgive me.

If you get a message from me, in the forum or an email, please reply so you can 'be seen, and not hurt.' When this is taken care of, look for a 9 x 6 x 4 inch corrugated box arriving soon at a mailbox near you. Pre-wired, ready to install.

As soon as I have finished with the first group, I will start on the wait list.

Andy