Guibo Removal/re-install

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wanna remove the guibo to get at the transmission linkage. Have heard it's difficult to re-install the guibo. What is the group's wisdom on this? Can nuts/bolts be re-used? Thanks for the help.

It's not hard just not fun laying under the car. You will have to drop the center bearing and perhaps even the exhaust and rear bolts at the diff. The driveshaft nose fits inside the guibo. I reuse the bolts.

When you disconnect the guibo remove only the bolts connecting the guibo to the transmission. Do not remove the bolts connecting the guibo to the driveshaft. The bolts can be reused, but the nuts must be replaced.

BMW workshop manual, SFDon, and my buddy the long time MB tech all say they are one time only. They cost $1.40 each and I am cautious about rotating parts. I don't know how to weigh the downside risk, but for less than $5.00, I follow the advice I am given.

Don't reinstall the old giubo, get a new German one. If you choose to reinstall, you will have to put a large hose clamp around it to compress it back to line up with the holes then remove it after bolted up.

Don't reinstall the old giubo, get a new German one. If you choose to reinstall, you will have to put a large hose clamp around it to compress it back to line up with the holes then remove it after bolted up.

Right, if you remove the three bolts holding the guibo to the driveshaft, it needs to be compressed in some manner in order to line it up and install it. If you retain these bolts in place, the other bolts can be removed and reinstalled without the compression technique Steve describes. New guibos come compressed with a metal strap around them that you remove after installation.

Obviously, whether to replace the existing part depends on its age and condition. I went with a new German part, and did not seriously consider the urethane type.

I learned my lesson the hard way. Look at your wife and kid when she says "the car is shaking on the freeway". I don't get paid to fix things I should have done right in the beginning.
There is so little upside.

Reactions: Rek
An answer about the nuts of the guibo

Like Ohmess, I would choose new nuts, new ones are 43 cents a piece at Walloth and Neesch; ~5 euro / USD at the BMW dealer.
I haven't checked what the BMW dealer sells, but Walloth&Neesh stock the 'deforming metal' type nuts.

I wouldn't dare to use nuts with a plastic ring ('Nyloc' as there called in Europe) as I think the radiant heat from the exhaust may well bake the plastic, loosing the friction function it has.
For the same reason I wouldn't trust Loctite, as that starts to loose function around 200 degrees Celsius (400 Fahrenheit), and completely disintegrates around 250 degrees Celsius (485 Fahrenheit).

Just make a mental picture what happens when your drive shaft drops on the street while driving.....:sad:

Erik.

Yet another dumb question

My new guibo came with the metal band around it, so that should be removed after I install it? Just checking-

Thanks,

My new guibo came with the metal band around it, so that should be removed after I install it? Just checking-

Thanks,

Yes. I had the same question, and it turns out the band is there to compress the guibo for installation. Without it, it is a real b!tch to line up and install the bolts.

It comes off pretty easily after you install the guibo. I remember being worried about it flying off, and put on a full face shield. Mine simply dropped to the ground when I cut it.

i remember on my first 2002, i replaced the guibo and didn't remove the band ... later that day, i was jacking up my car to crawl back underneath it to cut the band off ... as it was bouncing around on the driveshaft. probably NOT the way to learn that ... luckily it didn't tear anything up

Researching upcoming 5 speed transplant... sfDon, this post is a year old... is this MTC guibo still the one you recommend? I read in several post you mentioned using the later style M5 guibo. Based on this part number 26111107832 this seems to be for a "standard" 5'er.

Back