Guibo replacement

I thought the flat style, disc, guibo was for automatic transmission cars. At least, that is what the parts catalog calls it out for.

So Don, the early style is the one with the ridges around the sleeves, the late is the disc type? What is the M, and can it be used on our cars?

Ok, since I started this confusion, I will try to clarify some more.

Original guibo (donut style, the one that tends to crack, aka "grenade") is 45mm thick.

Option 1: Ok. Replace the original with an original style. Just keep an eye on it.

Option 2: Best. Replace the original donut with the 35mm newer disk (from the M cars - PN# 26.11.2.226.527 ) and replace the transmission output flange with the intermediate sized flange that is 10mm longer than the original one. This option does not require any cutting or drilling of shafts. You will spend $200-$250 for the new parts (unless you can find a used output flange).

Option 3: Least preferred. Using newer 30mm thick guibo will most likely require lengthening the drive shaft and trimming the transmission shaft pin. This guibo is thinner and about 1/2 the price of the 35mm version.

For automatic transmissions - I don't know what the options are.

Last edited:
Guibo Update Kit from Korman

Guibo Update Kit
Allows replacing the weak solid rubber flex disc with the new style reinforced type. Replaces BMW P/N 26111107832. New style guibo and all necessary hardware included. Manual transmission only.
72-76 Bavaria, 3.0, 3.0 CS, Si, S P/N 26111UPDATE

Both the auto and manual e9 guibos fit on the 265 output and driveshaft flanges

Why not just put a 5mm stack of washers on each side of the new giubo? Seems simpler than changing the flange and worrying about the transmission shaft pin engaging the driveshaft.

Evidently, there is a factory part number for joint spacers.

Nomenclature observations and a couple of related questions.
On a distantly related subject, using different nomenclature, E9'er-Steve asked about replacing the stock solid rubber giubo with a "thinner" Jurid joint. http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1032 BMW P/N 26111107832 (giubo) versus BMW P/N 26111109603 (a.k.a. "Jurid joint").

Short of sticking with the original part, as suggested by a Pacific-based E9'er, the Jurid joint can be used with individual 7.5mm (.295") shims or spacers - per the factory. BMW P/N 26111109626 and 26111109907. The former is described as a spacer "ring" while the latter is merely described as a spacer. I am unfamiliar with the difference. See No. 16 below:
30.png

Some have described this as a common upgrade. The stiffer, reinforced-Jurid joint may transmit more driveline vibration (although I have never noticed any). Anecdotally (since I have never measured the parts), it appears far more tolerant of rough treatment and long lived. The benefit of OEM giubo’s extra vibration absorption seems minor when used with the inherently smooth running inline M30. Contrariwise, a buzzy M10 might benefit from the solid rubber donut.

;)

Although materials and workmanship probably have much to do with joint longevity, even on the best aligned and balanced drive line, a few missed shifts and clutch dumps probably have an opposite effect. Leaving the car in gear when parked on an incline/decline will also stress the joint.

Probably been mentioned before but other cars used the same or similar joints, e.g., Ford Merkur, Mercedes und Volvo. They had similar issues and attempts at reinvention too.
guibo.jpg

Some E9 metal work has "cushion holes." Not sure about drive shaft joints. The concept seems like it might be better suited to urethane then rubber.
iu

http://forum.savarturbo.se/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=82439[/quote]

Option 2: Best. Replace the original donut with the 35mm newer disk (from the M cars - PN# 26.11.2.226.527 ) and replace the transmission output flange with the intermediate sized flange that is 10mm longer than the original one. This option does not require any cutting or drilling of shafts. You will spend $200-$250 for the new parts (unless you can find a used output flange).

Is there a part number for the required "intermediate sized flange" Sven references above?

There are three lengths to these flanges from my research. I am not positive about the intermediate part numbers, but from the photos they look right. Maybe Don can weigh in.

Short (original for e9) 23.21.1.203.061 superseded by 23.21.1.224.279
Intermediate: 23.21.228.298 or 23.21.1.224.290 or 23.21.1.209.570
Long: 23.21.1.228.038

Back