Hagerty on CS value increase

Markos

Parts Mule
Staff member
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"...even though a 2800CS is still worth about 25 grand less than a 3.0CS in #2 condition. "

Really? I seriously doubt that.
They aren’t making it up, but I can make data say whatever I want with the right sample size. “Still Worth?” The word “Still” implies a time dimension. If you start this comparison going back to 2001, this claim may be true. If you only look at the last 12 months of sales, it likely isn’t correct. We know the end date, that is the “still”. What is the start date?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor
Reaction score
If I were seeking to buy an e9 and found a 2800 CS and a 3.0 CS in exactly the same condition, I would not expect there to be any difference, let alone a $25,000 difference, in what I would have to pay to acquire either of the cars.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
They aren’t making it up, but I can make data say whatever I want with the right sample size. “Still Worth?” The word “Still” implies a time dimension. If you start this comparison going back to 2001, this claim may be true. If you only look at the last 12 months of sales, it likely isn’t correct. We know the end date, that is the “still”. What is the start date?
They are still way off on the valuation IMO; an e9 in "excellent" condition regardless of it being a 3.0 or 2800 cs is well over 100K as we have all seen from the BAT auctions. They have the CSL pegged at 300K, which is a little high I think.

Markos, there is a great book out there called "Lying with Statistics"- If I'm 50 years old and quitting smoking for 1 year will double my life span then I'm going to live for 100 years. If I quit for two years who knows how long I'll live.

Gary Knox

Site Donor
Reaction score
The first book my Statistics prof suggested we read back in the '50's was: How to Lie with Statistics. Still done every day, and I agree, minimal if any difference between the 2800 and 3.0 versions in comparable condition - to me. Do I represent every potential buyer??

Gary--

dang

Administrator
Staff member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just realized I still have a 3.0cs badge in my tool box. Cha ching!! I'll be right back, I have to call Hagerty and raise my coverage $25k.

dbower

Reaction score
I suspect that was a typo and they were referring to a $25K diff with a 2000CS, not a 2800CS. One digit = big diff. Sort of like CS and CSL.

BTW, it looks like Hemmings is starting a BAT-like auction process.

Gazz

Reaction score
It's a market place! What is it worth has an arbitrary answer when related to "collectibles". What does the buyer want, rarity, simplicity, looks, modern equipment, an easy to say name to quote Dang? ( I would like to have a Maserati just to be able to say that word in an ownership context, though, if you have one for sale I don't want to buy it ).
If the condition of the cars is the same would I pay more for a 3.0 over a 2800 - yes. Would I pay more for a CSi over a CS - yes. However there are early cars I would rather have than late ones - a roundie 2002 over the square lights for example. Everyone is charmed by something. It's a market sensibility thing. Or should that be nonsensibility?