Hanging relay under the voltage regulator

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My car is, at this point, 95% stock. One intriguing thing is that it has a relay that is hanging upside down under the voltage regulator.

I have tried to follow the wiring diagram but the 73 and later from the blue book does not show the 3 relays above the battery. Only two.

I did a search here and found this thread here where HBChris explains that the 74 should have 1. horn 2. High beam 3. Low beam and 4. fog.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7892

Since my third relay in the pic below is empty, I assume it is the one for the fog lights. I do have a fourth relay, which I assume is the high beam but it is just dangling under the regulator with no apparent place for it to be secured anywhere in the area. I put a shop rag under it so it can be seen in the pic. It's the one in the upper right hand corner of the pic. The voltage regulator is to its left.

Does anyone know where it is supposed to be attached? Or is it just floating there like the fuel filter...

Thank you.

Attachments

• hanging_relay.jpg
    hanging_relay.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bo,

In the wiring diagrams horn always has the same color, hi beam is white, lo beam is yellow, but in 74 I think someone corrected me, low beam relay may be under dash if it has one. I will look.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bo - a 74 I worked on recently had this same relay with no real place to attach. I just zipped tied it to the wiring harness below. A poorly designed late production upgrade?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!

@Alan. I did receive your diagram. Thank you. But it is not the same as what I have. My car is a December 73 production and has 3 relays attached to the bracket above the battery plus one just hanging.

@ Chris: If the low beam is under the dash then I wonder what my 4th relay above the battery is for. I will need to follow the wires again this weekend.

@Sven. Thank you for that info. So this may be "normal"... Really strange. Do you know what production month yours was from? Maybe the late 73 production had this temporary addition which was later properly attached somewhere else for the full US 74 and euro 75 productions?

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For a 74:

Horn relay, Violet/black and yellow wires
Hi beam (called fog in diagram), red power, white to hi beams, green/yellow to fogs
Lo beam, red power, yellow to lo beams (diagram shows it next to hi/lo switch in dash but I think it is near battery)

Turn on each item, relay will click, very easy to hear and fool proof.

The only other relays under the hood are for the chokes and auto trans cut-out and they are on the brake booster mount. Let us know what you find out.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe I have narrowed it down to the Auto Choke relay. Number 117 on the diagram. Then one then feeds the two hoke relays on the booster.

To be confirmed however...

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
74 has the relay for ac aux fan and over heat aux fan by battery.
Also uses hot side of hi beam as signal ground for fogs and low beam relay.
Touch B+ to AC compressor and relay should click.