Happy 2023 from the SATO

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As some of you know I have been spending time in the South Atlantic (Punta del Este) which is fairly tranquil weather wise, COVID wise, and geopolitically (compared to the US weather, the China COVID ramp, and NATO happenings vis-a-vis Russia).

Car wise I had a brand new Mitsubishi Expander rental waiting for me on arrival. Last year I put 10.000km into exactly the same model here and I was very happy. This model is for non-US markets though, very practical, seats 7, fits two mountain bikes, and better than 30 MPG. Not clear why the model never came to the US. Probably too cheap.

Rust is a thing in Punta, I never understood why LA is next to the ocean and cars never rust, while Punta is next to a different ocean and cars lose their paint shine in three years, and can disappear into oxide in a decade if not garaged.

Here is a sample:
The 79-80 E21 was a classic CKD here, and look at the condition of this one, it is not abandoned...
The Citroen Mehari is a clever solution with its fiber glass body, only 5.000 were sold here and many are still around.
Jeep Pickup trucks are cool for rural or beach areas, this one seems well kept and could be from the 50s?...

Happy New Year to all, in advance!

Attachments

• rusty320.jpg
    rusty320.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 54
  • mehari.jpg
    mehari.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 55

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Happy new year @Arde!

I worked in San Francisco for many years and we had an employee with a company car that lived out in the avenues, a section of the city near the ocean. His car was literally rotting from salt air, and needed replacement far before the mileage replacement schedule. This was in the 80's, and I know that vehicle rust proofing techniques have improved since then.