Has anyone ever used Lseat.com for upholstery?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a friend in the classic automobile upholstery business. He says the 'cheaper' shops use house upholstery leather, which does not stand up very well to all the UV and other exposure. Automotive quality leather is treated for a harsher exposure. Might be good for a 'flip' car, but if I was going to use it for quite a few years I'd be a little leary. Just my opinion.

Gary

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a friend in the classic automobile upholstery business. He says the 'cheaper' shops use house upholstery leather, which does not stand up very well to all the UV and other exposure. Automotive quality leather is treated for a harsher exposure. Might be good for a 'flip' car, but if I was going to use it for quite a few years I'd be a little leary. Just my opinion.

Gary
Agreed, although the first thing my friend said was that they used very good leather for the covers he got. He said they do other things in a quality/professional way too... stitching, etc. He wonders if they're doing the work in Mexico.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That was my thought regarding sewing etc, Dan. However, my friend also said his cost for good automotive hides is close to $1K for a pair of seats.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, after he said what he said I told him that the "coupe crowd" has different standards and it probably wouldn't work for a lot of owners. I have Sport Recaros in my coupe and they need new covers. I don't need top quality for my coupe, but maybe some day.