Has anyone ever...

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello resident gurus,

I posted about an hour ago that I have sold my Ham-lee-ta, Polaris coupe. I really want (need) to remove the headliner for both cleaning-I hope- and sunroof tune up.

Has anyone ever removed and replaced their headliner using the original material that was in the car? And if so, can they provide the proper steps for the fabric and sunroof removal etc. I pretty much have the mechanical stuff down and the material is dirty, smelly, but in pretty good shape strength-wise.

Has a supplier of original material surfaced somewhere?

Any help or suggestions, comments or a link to a e9 specific You Tube video :) would be most appreciated. I've replaced every part in this car and this is the only thing that has scared me...so far.

Thanks!

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
s1.jpg
s2.jpg
peter sms fabric has the exact linear type headliner they reproduced it based on the original pattern
the sunroof it rather easy its in the service manual
and of course la jolla has the dot type
of course you need to pull the windows
i took mine off without ripping but it was just too brittle at the edges
i dont know if you can see but the pattern is exact
i have a bunch extra-enuff for the sunroof part

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Alan, I should have mentioned it's for a 70/71 2800 CS with a manual sunroof, I'm concerned about the ribbing or pleats. I'll send you a PM-

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
I removed and replaced my headliner (74 with elec. SR) about 6-7 years ago I didn't have any problems putting it all back, used 3M adhesive, but some parts of the headliner have pulled away e.g. in the depressed areas around the SR switch, visors. Absolutely critical to remove the old glue wherever possible.