Header heat shield

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone have the instructions and/or pics of the installed CoupeKing header heat shield? It goes on the passenger side of the tunnel above the headers. I have Stahl headers and we can't figure out how to install it. I'm still waiting for an answer from Coupe King. But the shop needs to know ASAP. Thanks.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is it this one?
A7AA5A53-7865-4757-B809-2AFB0FD2E895.png

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don--I think so. The car is in the shop getting the engine installed after the Turkis color change. I need to send them this photo.---Drew

Attachments

• IMG_1315(1).jpg
    IMG_1315(1).jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    558.7 KB · Views: 178

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don--your pic is the subject heat shield. Here's the reply from the shop:

Drew,
That is the heat shield.
Notice the three empty holes, so no fasteners there?
Then need to know what attaches the front, under the firewall pad.
Sorry but I'll be out the rest of the day.
Jan can walk you through it if you come by.
If not we'll work it out Tues.
Mike

I also have the Coupe King firewall pad. Pics of my car to follow when I go there later today.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Luis-This is just what we need to do to my heat shield. I took these pics this afternoon before seeing your post. I'll show it to them and get those weld nuts. Did you use small spacers on the underside of the shield to keep the shield off the tunnel? It looks like the weld nuts will allow that space. That would act as insulation between the metal shield and the tunnel. Next week the engine will be installed from below with the subframe already attached. Looks like that is the best way to not damage the inner fender paintwork. Thanks for the post, Drew

Attachments

• IMG_1388.jpg
    IMG_1388.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1395.jpg
    IMG_1395.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 175

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Luis-This is just what we need to do to my heat shield. I took these pics this afternoon before seeing your post. I'll show it to them and get those weld nuts. Did you use small spacers on the underside of the shield to keep the shield off the tunnel? It looks like the weld nuts will allow that space. That would act as insulation between the metal shield and the tunnel. Next week the engine will be installed from below with the subframe already attached. Looks like that is the best way to not damage the inner fender paintwork. Thanks for the post, Drew
I think the canaro and mustang are in the way. I’ll bring my trailer ang get them out of there

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the canaro and mustang are in the way. I’ll bring my trailer ang get them out of there
Bring a big trailer. Forget the outside stuff. The Ferraris and DB4&6 Aston Martins are inside getting ready for Pebble Beach next year.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is a special nut hat goes into a hole in sheet metal and there is a tool that expands it firmly into the sheet metal Then you have a permanent threaded hole Google rivnut, pop nut, expandable nut
I did a search for them. I'll ask if drilling a hole in the tunnel is better than welding on the outside of it. Thanks for the suggestion.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I choose weld on nuts vs rivnuts to install the heat shield to not have holes in the bottom. I know the rivnut hole gets 'filled' by the bolt, but I wasn't sure if that is water tight. And I dont like water...

The shield indeed must have some airspace between the body. For heat dissipation and to prevent clattering noises.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The shop bought the weld nuts and successfully installed the Coupe King header heat shield. Thanks for all of the advice. I never got a response from Coupe King. The upper part has a hole that is about 3 inches from the tunnel and was not used. The shield was secured with just 2 stainless weld nuts bought from McMaster Carr, leaving airspace between the shield and the tunnel. Here is the shield next to the Stahl header.

Attachments

• IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 136

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pebble Beach and Amelia Island call the shop each year to ask what they are bringing to their events.
Well, categories change each year and you have to apply and then be accepted. That being said the big names seem to be there every year competing against the other millionaires for status.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With all our down pipes ceramic coated these days, we rely on the original type heat shield that we install to keep the cabin from getting hot.
53AC5946-21C7-4267-820F-ECCCE0D34241.jpeg

Attachments

• 2361D7A1-A5EB-424B-B56C-5AC866AC20B5.png
    2361D7A1-A5EB-424B-B56C-5AC866AC20B5.png
    957.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
@sfdon, I'm considering adding the E60 shield and Erik in the Netherlands has kindly posted a ton of information and measurements on his shield mounting and shaping. Looking at your last photo here I can't figure out your mounting technique. Can you please elaborate a bit on how you are mounting it?