Headlamp Wiper Retrofit - Grill modification

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looking for the nozzles for the wiper system. I have the rest, we'll not the really difficult wiper stalk with the headlight wiper switch?
Just getting info together as I re-assemble my coupe after 3 years.

Paging @Markos. He’s well versed on this topic

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking for the nozzles for the wiper system. I have the rest, we'll not the really difficult wiper stalk with the headlight wiper switch?
Hi Gary they are still available from BMW. Google the part number Which is 61671355029. I assume you mean the nozzles that go mounted on the grill on top of each headlamp.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Hi Gary,

Nozzles are the only thing I don’t have. This is because as @Luis A. mentioned, they are still available new (along with the check valves and tubing).

Check with Luis about the stalk. It is my understanding that there is no special stalk. If you have your headlights on and wash your windscreen, the headlights get washed.

If you have anything to add, place it here:
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/consolidated-notes-e3-e9-headlamp-washer-system.24406/

Simufly

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

Nozzles are the only thing I don’t have. This is because as @Luis A. mentioned, they are still available new (along with the check valves and tubing).

Check with Luis about the stalk. It is my understanding that there is no special stalk. If you have your headlights on and wash your windscreen, the headlights get washed.

If you have anything to add, place it here:
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/consolidated-notes-e3-e9-headlamp-washer-system.24406/
It seems that there are two slightly different systems on the e3 and e9 wash wipe systems. One system the headlights get a wash wipe cycle when the headlights are selected on irrespective of any other switch position. The other the HL wash wipe cycle only happens with the headlights on and the screen wash wipe stalk triggered.
The original stalk is used with either system.
I think the whole system is rather cool and retro! FWIW

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Regarding the activation mode question. The shop manual section that details the installation of the HWW kit indicates that upon turning on the headlights the system will run through a cycle, which is about 5 seconds. After a 30 second timeout period, further 5-second WW cycles can be invoked by pulling on the wipe wash stalk which will activate both the windshield WW and the headlights WW cycles.

This behavior is entirely controlled by the "Wiper Wash Interval Control Unit" connected to the HWW system harness. None of the 4 or 5 control boxes I've come across have initiated the WW cycle when only turning on headlights, but the boxes also had different, later part numbers. I don't doubt the original iteration of the control box did the initial headlamp WW cycle but later boxes do not, they only run the WW cycle upon depressing the WW stalk.

All the control box does is A) Verify lights (parking/city) are on via a connection to the engine compartment light, B) Limit the HWW cycle to ~5 seconds and C) Prevent a further HWW cycle for ~30 seconds. So you can easily bypass the box, wire things accordingly and have the system work, albeit in a slightly different way. I also believe you can use an ordinary windshield wash timer control box/relay since it provides a similar function, but I have not tried that. Some control boxes are out there ranging between 60-250 Euro.