Headlight Dip Switch for early E3 - options?

smoeKS

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m a long time lurker on the forum and have found answers to several questions. I’ve not been able to find a good solution to this one, however, so will post it.

We have acquired an early E3 (’71 2500 that was built in April 1970). It has a totally non-functional, and largely non-present, headlight dip control switch. The previous owner jammed a coffee stirrer into the bare switch contacts so that all the lights (high & low beams) are always on. I am having trouble locating a new switch.

RealOEM shows the dip switch as part 61311351070. This is the “early” version, as opposed to part 61311354295, which is the “late” version. The late version is still available, but the early version is not.

The E3 dip switches are different part numbers from the E9s (RealOEM shows this as 61311351856), or from the 2002 (part number 61311352949).

Has anyone used one of these other (available) dip switches with an early E3? What kinds of modifications were required? Does anyone have an early dip switch (61311351070) sitting around that you would be willing to part with?

As you can guess from the coffee stirrer fix, this is not a show car, nor will it ever be. It runs well, however and we’d like to just be able to drive it.

Thanks,

Shawn

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Penske shows both part numbers on a 3.0S Bav, interesting. On Penske, I hit Change Vehicle and then paste in the part number. I would bet the only difference is the plug connector which you could splice in. Unless you find a used one.

Simufly

Reaction score
dip switch.

on UK models, there is a change over point too, the only difference is the pins in the plug on the end. Early ones have round pins, later ones plate pins.