Headliner for the purist?

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Three questions regarding headliners,

Can you still buy the original material?

Was the original material always perforated?

Was the original material white or off white?

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Three questions regarding headliners,

Can you still buy the original material?

Was the original material always perforated?

Was the original material white or off white?

Can you still buy the original material? There's a shop that can replicate the CSL material. Dont know of a source for the standard material other than EBAY.DE... very rarely

Was the original material always perforated? Degree of perforation varied - completeness of punch.

Was the original material white or off white? I believe it did vary some during the years of production.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The headliner in my CSi is not perforated. It has a slight texture to it that are subtle varied raised lines going across from left to right, similar to a 2002 pattern.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
and mine was thoroughly perforated. So I guess it depends on the number of beers Dieter had for lunch.

Obviously they stacked the fabric into the machine to save time, so the perforation depends on where yours was in the stack. The closer to the top the more perforation you have and the more off-white it is...

Headliner forensics, a career in as high demand as art history.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The headliner in my CSi is not perforated. It has a slight texture to it that are subtle varied raised lines going across from left to right, similar to a 2002 pattern.

I took a good look at it today and has the lines and slight perforation dots as the underlying pattern.

stphers

Reaction score
headliner

Hi,

I just ordered 2 headliner sets from GETBMW PARTS ( dealer from out east in US ) for $31.22 each. They have been shipped, had to come out of Germany. They are suppose to arrive sometime this week. I can take pictures of the material once it arrives , excited to see if it is the right stuff.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks, Rick

stphers

Reaction score
Headliner

Hi,

I finally picked up the headliner that I odered from getBMW parts ( BMW of Silver Spring ) It looks very good, same diamond pattern to the perforations, same backing material on the backside. I took some pictures of the new material along side some original and the back side of a white envelope to see the color difference. The material is a little whiter ( cleaner ) than the original back that is to be expected. The new material feels the same as the original, the onkly difference are the perforation holes are larger in the original material but that may change with both age and streching the new material.

I really like it and orderd 2 to make sure that I had enough , it comes in a running meter approx 52" wide part # 51921802983 @ $31.22 each.

Thanks, Rick

Attachments

• BMW 3.0CS headliner 009.jpg
    BMW 3.0CS headliner 009.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 254
  • BMW 3.0CS headliner 013.jpg
    BMW 3.0CS headliner 013.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 225
  • BMW 3.0CS headliner 014.jpg
    BMW 3.0CS headliner 014.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 253
  • BMW 3.0CS headliner 017.jpg
    BMW 3.0CS headliner 017.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 225
  • BMW 3.0CS headliner 012.jpg
    BMW 3.0CS headliner 012.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 247

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
I bought some from BMW too. I really isn't bad. The color and sheen are good and even the texture can fool you if you're more than 20" away. Of course it doesn't have the fine lines in the base material as did the original material....

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone got headliner material from LaJolla and is it truly "ORIGINAL"???

Headliner Material for all E9 (2.5, 2800, 3.0 non csl)

Newly available ORIGINAL material for the headliner of your E9 Coupé! Matches BMW part number 51 92 1 802 983. Currently $75 per square meter, and you’ll need 3 meters for your sunroof car, or 2.5 for your non sunroof car (includes enough to recover the header panel at the top of the windshield as well). Stock is limited so call or email now! (We also have csl headliner material in small quantities).

Attachments

• headliner.jpg
    headliner.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 139