Heated rear screen.

sdoyle

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm getting close to the end a complete restoration of a right hand drive, Nov. 1973 CSi.
I cannot find the wiring under the steering column or switch for the heated rear windscreen. The car has a heated screen fitted. It has the wires going to the screen, left hand is black, right hand side is brown, which connected to the body at the back of the rear seat. The panel under the steering column has three holes for switches, the hole on the left hand side of the steering column is green and is wired for the rear fog lamp which is not fitted. The hole on right side of the column has a green blank installed. The extreme right hand hole has the emergency flasher switch fitted.
The wiring for the heated rear screen is green/blue, black and brown, however I cannot find these wires in the vicinity of the steering column.
I could fit a an orange topped switch in the spare hole and wire it, but before I do that, I'd like to know if anyone has seen this before or am I missing something.
Many thanks,
Seán.

Dlc

Site Donor
Reaction score
hi Sean,
I check a picture from last year: the wires are as you described - they appear to originate from the same bundle as the hazard light/flasher switch. This is on a LHD.
Regards
Dominik

1708409695114.png

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Do you have a switch on the left hand side of the centre console for heated rear screen ?

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
This one
20240220_104036.jpg
From '73 onwards located left hand side of centre console
Thomas

Last edited:

sdoyle

Reaction score
Thank you both for the feedback, I had completely forgotten that the center console existed, even though I had connected it and it is working properly. A 'senior moment'.

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
There's a video on You Tube charting the restoration of a CSi in Italy - there's a very amusing moment in it where the mechanic says something like 'cool 70's car with 2 cigarette lighters' !

Rek

Reaction score
The rear screen does not seem to be that good. I have checked voltage and continuity through the screen but it doesn't do much at all.

tdgray

Reaction score
Well I’m sure there has been degradation over the years of it’s effectiveness.

Also, if a I remember from many years ago… wasn’t all that great to begin with…. Fog clearer at best.

coupesport

Newish Member
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Seán, Understand your restoration effort... I'm in a cold climate and the heated rear screen of my E23 blew out the glass this winter. Just an FYI.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This one
View attachment 177521
From '73 onwards located left hand side of centre console
Thomas
I have this switch with element picture on it who need this? and you can use green, and yellow push on switch, I think I have them, but which one is the right one, I don't know the export should answer this.

sdoyle

Reaction score
Seán, Understand your restoration effort... I'm in a cold climate and the heated rear screen of my E23 blew out the glass this winter. Just an FYI.
A bit of bad luck there I guess. The actual wires on my screen are not very, some missing.

sdoyle

Reaction score
I have this switch with element picture on it who need this? and you can use green, and yellow push on switch, I think I have them, but which one is the right one, I don't know the export should answer this.
Thank you, I have all the switches working properly now.