Heater Controls Panel - Wood or Brushed Stainless

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think every other Bavaria I've seen has a wood insert in the heater control/clock/glove box release panel. My July of 71 3.0 Bavaria has a brushed stainless panel...

IMG_3776.jpeg

Was one or the other an option? Were there certain years/months where one or the other was used? Random?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dick, as 71 was the first year of the 2.8 Bav I think it had less trim than its predecessor 2800 which had wood with leather seats and subsequent 3.0 Bavs ended up getting a bit more. It was not random.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris,
Mine is one of the first 3.0 Bavs and a 1972 Model Year car. BMW probably had running changes though. So the 2800 Bavs and early 3.0s had this brushed stainless dash?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The history of E3s in general and my car in particular is a fun part of the hobby for me. Chris' speculation makes sense to me...that the brushed switch panel and the painted rear panel are related to a certain year (or years) of Bavaria production (and probably other E3 models also).

Does anyone have a source I could query to help pin this down? E3 Limousinen Club? SSR?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here are some pictures I found. The following rear pics are all of 71 MY Bavarias (this doesn't necessarily mean ALL 71's had a painted rear panel)...

Q0M1RDdEQzlDMjQwMkRCRDcxRTg6ZDhkYTVkMmVmNTUyNmJmMDMzY2NiYzkzMDgxYWY2M2Q6Ojo6OjA=.jpg

bavaria02.jpg
ls0917-295480_4@2x.jpg

The last one (what a beautiful car!) is the only one I could find that also had an interior picture. The dash is wood in it.

the following 2 pictures are of 71 MY Bavarias (again, this doesn't necessarily mean ALL 71s had a brushed switch panel)...

1971-bmw-bavaria-original-2800-engine-4-speed-manual-trans-zero-rust-or-rot-3.jpg

ebay_291634582297_11.jpg

The following picture is of a 2500...

MVC-004F.jpg

This further supports Chris' speculation.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I tried checking in the parts book, it’s only shows walnut and then it switches to the illuminated panel at 3103466 for a 3.0 Bav. And the 3.3L got Root Veneer instead of walnut.

mmccusername

Reaction score
I am looking for the aluminum trim for my dash if anyone has extra they'd like to sell.

Side note: the shift lever on the early automatics are cool enough to almost make me want one.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A new revelation, the tail panel changed at the Model 71 which I think means 72 for US cars to satin silver And the 71 2.8 Bav was painted.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My car is 3100645, so one of the first 3.0s. They could have been still using up painted tail panels and brushed switch panels.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
From the owner's manual that came with my car when it was new.

Any picture of the dash shows the brushed stainless switch panel...

IMG_3781.jpeg

There is only one picture that shows the rear of the car and it appears to be a brushed panel...not painted...But then it also has some pretty strange tail lights.

IMG_3782.jpeg