Hello all, new E3 owner here

BavHyena

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've just bought a 74 Bavaria. It's pretty rough around the edges (and the top, and the bottom, and the middle), but it's got an M30B34 with triple webers and a 5 speed. It seems to have never left California since new.

I used to have an E24 that was low mileage, rust free, and pristine. I tightened up the steering and suspension, and converted to 5 speed. It was fun to drive, but I always felt limited in its tinker-ability due to smog laws. I was also afraid to drive it since it was in such good shape.

I then got a 2002 with a slightly warmer engine, big carb, very low suspension, big tires, etc. It was very fun to drive down in the canyon, but a bit too rough around the edges for me. Old age, ya know. Longer highway drives were annoying with the 4 speed too.

Which brings me to the Bavaria. It seems like it sits right in the middle of those two cars. Simpler and seemingly lighter than the E24, but more civilized than the 2002.
I've only had it a couple of weeks and am just getting to know it, and establishing a baseline. I'm looking forward to learning more about it and getting it up to snuff mechanically. It needs some rust remediation and paint in the future, but that can probably wait.

Thanks to dang for the invite!

Dave

BavHyena

Reaction score

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0049.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0049.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 106
  • thumbnail_IMG_0050.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0050.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 105
  • thumbnail_IMG_0051.jpg