hello im new!

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
CsChuck14 said:
any suggestions on the rust?

Hopefully your welder is a MIG - they are probably the easiest to learn. I've done a fair amount of rust repair and you can do a lot with hand tools: aviation snips, "hand seamer" and other bending tools, body hammers and dollies, etc. Eastwood and TP Tools have good catalogs. I've learned by doing. Start with small projects somewhere that doesn't show, like trunk floor. Don't be afraid to start over if something is not going well. Wear the proper safety gear.

Take the time to look through all the posts on the projects & Restorations forum on this site. There aren't a huge number of them and you will see there are often a variety of ways to solve a problem. That is what all rust repair is - solving a whole bunch of little problems.

CsChuck14

Reaction score
ok, thanks for the suggestions, ive got a month before i head over to nc and get the car, in that time i will be reading as much as i can about the e9s. i think im going to have the most trouble with the rockers, which i will save for last as i am guessing they are the most important part to fix

edit wheel wells and rockers will most likely be the most trouble.

how do you remove the fenders?

corsachili

Reaction score
I feel dirty, like I need a shower. And I just took one. I feel kinda like I used to after walking through the Pantera corral at Concorso Italiano. Filth.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pantera compound..

...And I was feeling bad about my beef wellington burn....Dave V. in NC (North Carolina). I assume Chuck meant NorCal by nc?

pj

Reaction score
Tj ,
First you strip your csl of its manhood
now you are dissing panteras?
you really have got in touch with your feminine sidehuh!

Don't worry fellas this is all in jest

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm just glad that there is that big hill between you two.....

:p

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
CsChuck14 said:
how do you remove the fenders?

They are welded on and you have to cut them off and drill out some spotwelds. If you are replacing the complete fender, you have to remove the front windshield, as the fender goes into the windshield opening.

A lot of the body repair on these cars is more difficult than most contemporary cars, like say a 2002.

The rocker panels have an outer cover, which is riveted or screwed on and is not structural. Then there is the real outer rocker panel, a middle "web" or brace, and the inner rocker panel, to which the outer edges of the floors are welded.

CsChuck14

Reaction score
thanks, i read about the rockers but didnt know about the fenders, i will be removing the windshield with 4 guys. earlier i asked what is a wire grinder i meant what is a wire brush? i think

dave, i did mean north carolina, near myrtle beach, what part are you in?

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
where are you?

Hi Chuck, I'm in western NC, Morganton to be exact. About an hour and a half northwest of Charlotte. Myrtle Beach is about 4.5-5 hrs from us. If you are in the area, give me a buzz. 828.437.1900 Good luck with the car. Aside from great golf, MB is famous for Vanna White. That should tell you something....Are you driving this car back home? I have a pretty good coupe, and a rusty the puppy coupe; and if it's on your way home, I'd be happy to point out the differences for your benefit. Hope it all works out for you. Dave V. in NC

CsChuck14

Reaction score
yes im planning to drive home. and if the cars in good enough condish i will treck over to morganton and have a visit.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score

CsChuck14

Reaction score
theres one from tp tools thats about 30 bucks, has anyone bought that one, will it last, or is it cheap and should i go with dewalt

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Generally TP tools sells pretty good stuff. I have not bought any of their "house" power tools, like an angle grinder, so can't speak for them, but I have been happy with the other things I'v bought.