Hello - newbie from downunder Australia!

lisa_spyder

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have just purchased a 1974 CSA down here. It's a bit of a barn find and needs work (of course).

I have no pics to share as yet (but will) and am aware of most if not all of the pitfalls in these beauties. I am no stranger to classic cars (played with Porsches all my life) so do not have my rose coloured glasses on with this one :wink: .

However, I am looking forward to an adventure putting this car back together. I will have many questions no doubt, but for now the first I am hoping you guys can help me with is:

does anyone have a decent pic of colour Granatrot (garnet red metallic)? Car is originally this colour (still is) but needs paint. I'd love to see a decent paint job in this colour.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Lisa

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello Lisa and welcome to our little coupe group. It will be nice to have a woman's view on this board finally, especially one with such fine taste in vintage European cars.

I found this 3.0 CS in the photo gallery that belongs to jellobmw. Hope this is the color that you're refering to. Garnet red (Granatrot met) is indeed a rare and pretty color on the CS coupe. Personally, I've not seen too many of them.

If you've not found this board already, www.bmwcsregistry.org , visit the site, it contains a nice section on original paint colors and their respective paint codes. Very informative indeed along with other coupe info and pics.

a2cb48eeaa884c5403c5f114255404c9.jpg

Cheers,
Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

TRIPPFONTAINE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Lisa, good to hear of another coupe owner from these parts. Seems to be a motley crew in and around Melbourne. It sounds like you know your way around the tracks but I'd be delighted to share resources etc if you ever require them.

lisa_spyder

Reaction score
Bert,

Thankyou - I did look in the gallery but I wasn't sure which "red" was the right one. Very sweet colour (not that I was even toying with a colour change). I wanted to see a car in daylight in the colour, so thankyou again.

I have looked around the CS registry site - it was through that (somewhere) that I found this forum and boy am I glad I did! I have read through several threads and it appears the brain trust here is the equal of other (non BMW) boards that I frequent.

Trippfontaine,

I am an hour out of Melbourne in Gippsland Gourmet Country (food, booze and roads to die for!). Please keep me in the loop for any activities of the "Melbourne motley crew" as I would love to meet you all. I also have a few activities for you guys that I can heartily recommend down here (car stuff worth doing).

I do know my way around cars and restoration projects, but specific knowledge about these babies is not something I yet have, so any help at all will be very much appreciated. I know I will need to know where I should look to procure a myriad of small things as I would like to do a sympathetic resto using the right parts.

This is all hypothetical as I do not yet have the car in my possession! It has been off the road for several years, the engine is apart, the trim is partially removed but all is there presumably. I also get a spare engine and 4 speed gearbox plus D-Jet etc with the car. I am thinking however to leave it original and standard as it has only done 148,000kms, has history and is genuine Aus delivery. Then again, these cars are eligible for Group SC historics....decisions, decisions!

It's a great adventure for us - I have just sold one toy and had no intent of buying another just yet...and then this CSA came along :lol: !

x_atlas0

Reaction score
lisa_spyder said:
Bert,

Thankyou - I did look in the gallery but I wasn't sure which "red" was the right one. Very sweet colour (not that I was even toying with a colour change). I wanted to see a car in daylight in the colour, so thankyou again.

I have looked around the CS registry site - it was through that (somewhere) that I found this forum and boy am I glad I did! I have read through several threads and it appears the brain trust here is the equal of other (non BMW) boards that I frequent.

Trippfontaine,

I am an hour out of Melbourne in Gippsland Gourmet Country (food, booze and roads to die for!). Please keep me in the loop for any activities of the "Melbourne motley crew" as I would love to meet you all. I also have a few activities for you guys that I can heartily recommend down here (car stuff worth doing).

I do know my way around cars and restoration projects, but specific knowledge about these babies is not something I yet have, so any help at all will be very much appreciated. I know I will need to know where I should look to procure a myriad of small things as I would like to do a sympathetic resto using the right parts.

This is all hypothetical as I do not yet have the car in my possession! It has been off the road for several years, the engine is apart, the trim is partially removed but all is there presumably. I also get a spare engine and 4 speed gearbox plus D-Jet etc with the car. I am thinking however to leave it original and standard as it has only done 148,000kms, has history and is genuine Aus delivery. Then again, these cars are eligible for Group SC historics....decisions, decisions!

It's a great adventure for us - I have just sold one toy and had no intent of buying another just yet...and then this CSA came along :lol: !

Sounds like you are fleshing out your options, most assuredly the right way to go. At least, it is far better than changing your mind half-way through! :D

Once you figure out how you want to go with it, check out the links section for the trusted suppliers, and post up about it. We all like to hear about another coupe saved from the scrapper.

Welcome to the board.

mark

Reaction score
hi lisa

i have been watching your car and made an offer on it last year that the owner obviously didn't accept. this year i was watching but got drunk in adelaide and missed the nd of the auction. anyway, it sounds like a terrific car! well done.

there's a guy here in perth , hamish, who is on this board, who is wrecking a car (the one that got t-boned) should you be looking for parts. If hamish doesn't see this,send me a PM and i will put you in touch.

cheers
mark

hdavis

Reaction score
Hi Lisa, good to hear from you, and know that you also appreciate other German cars. I hope we see your contributions as often as we see them at the early 911S forum.

Welcome and congratulations on your new toy

Henry

lisa_spyder

Reaction score
I knew I would have friends here already!

G'day Henry,

I had a peek at the member list here and recognized a few IDs and was not surprised :wink: .

Looking forward to sharing the good and the bad (I'm sure there will be some bad, but I am ready for that).

Thanks for the welcome - I haven't been around on the S board (or others) much as we've been snowed under with settling the workshop into its new location.

Now that I have been "outed" I guess I should come clean :lol: . I am a second generation Porschephile who grew up at her Daddy's knee in an independent Porsche workshop. I inherited his passion and love for all things Porsche and also for anything that is well engineered. I spent all my school holidays etc with Dad and his team by choice getting messy....and eventually started work for him and Mum after finishing school. I now run that business along with my husband. Cars are a HUGE part of our family life and we're instilling the same passion in our kids.

The new car will bridge a gap for us and enable us to take one fun car for runs in the twisties with the kids and the car clubs we are involved with. I have always loved these E9s and hankered after one for a long time. Lots of potential...without losing the integrity of the car.

Cheers,

hdavis

Reaction score
Lisa, you got it right, the E9 is the ideal "family car", good engine, good supension, great looks and room for 4.

I just got mine a few months ago, and I'm still sorting out a few things (A/C for example), but I'm planning on using it as my daily driver for a while before I take the plunge and go for a deeper sort out.

Post a pic of your car, we'd love to see it

lisa_spyder

Reaction score
x_atlas0 said:
Sounds like you are fleshing out your options, most assuredly the right way to go. At least, it is far better than changing your mind half-way through! :D

Once you figure out how you want to go with it, check out the links section for the trusted suppliers, and post up about it. We all like to hear about another coupe saved from the scrapper.

Welcome to the board.

Atlas,

I am weighing the options certainly. I have been guilty in the past of changing my mind on a project part way through; even though I try to keep our clients from doing that! It's going to be a couple of weeks I think before I get hold of everything and then we can assess the car properly. If it is good enough, we'll get it up and running first and sort out the issues. Then she can come apart again for repaint. If it is rusty, well then the game plan changes and I'll tackle the body simultaneously with the mechanicals.

hi lisa

i have been watching your car and made an offer on it last year that the owner obviously didn't accept. this year i was watching but got drunk in adelaide and missed the nd of the auction. anyway, it sounds like a terrific car! well done.

there's a guy here in perth , hamish, who is on this board, who is wrecking a car (the one that got t-boned) should you be looking for parts. If hamish doesn't see this,send me a PM and i will put you in touch.

cheers
mark

Hey Mark,

I wasn't even going to bid! 3 hours out I sent a few questions and then made a couple of calls to some mates to see if they would dissuade me - quite the opposite! My husband kept poking at me about it (in a good way - he was giving me a push) and after a couple of decent reds with a minute to go I placed a bid on the car with a view of "if I get it, I get it". Very glad I did!

Hamish if you're out there I may be your new best friend :lol: I have no idea yet what I am going to need but rest assured there will be a list (there always is).

The news was out at a local car club meeting last night. This is like bringing a baby home from hospital - we're going to be inundated with visitors cooing over the car :lol: .

Cheers,

lisa_spyder

Reaction score
hdavis said:
Lisa, you got it right, the E9 is the ideal "family car", good engine, good supension, great looks and room for 4.

I just got mine a few months ago, and I'm still sorting out a few things (A/C for example), but I'm planning on using it as my daily driver for a while before I take the plunge and go for a deeper sort out.

Post a pic of your car, we'd love to see it

Posting pics is via photo bucket or similiar, right? I don't have any good ones yet but I'll see what I can do with what I have.

Wazza

Reaction score
Hi Lisa

I'm sure you will enjoy your car once it's restored. They can have their fair share of frustrating little problems but its all worth it.

There are about a dozen here in NZ and I enjoy driving mine around it gets plenty of attention and comments.

Cheers
Warren

Will try to post pic's of mine.

lisa_spyder

Reaction score
She's home!

Finally we managed to create a couple of spare days in everyone's schedule to pick up the car.

2 days, 900kms, two tow cars and trailers, a couple of kids to keep amused on a big road trip...no wonder it took a month to get this sorted :lol: !

We spent nearly 5 hours with David and Rae (now previous owners) on their magnificent property in the Victorian Alps. Maybe 2 hours worth of loading stuff smattered with a good 3 hours of chatting! A lovely experience all round and I really felt for David as we left...the wistful look on his face said it all as he waved the CSA goodbye...

The car is beautiful. It is every bit as good as I was hoping and then some. An honest example, remarkably sound, hardly a rust spot to be seen (I'll have a good poke around when we get it on a hoist, but so far I could only find one tiny spot up and under the RHR guard).

More pics will follow of course, but here she is going on the trailer for the trip home :D . All the associated parts, mechanicals etc were loaded onto our 16 foot tandem and we are now in a quandry as to where to put them all - what a problem to have :wink: !

eda0784e94b442378c978dbfaf1f83bf.jpg

I am in love already...I towed the tandem home and Mike towed the car. Every time I caught a glimpse of it on the trailer, every time we stopped for fuel etc, I couldn't take my eyes off it. It's a bloody sickness and I have it bad :lol: !

Malc

Reaction score
Lisa I think your coming down with Coupeitis
No need to see the doctor as it is incurable, but don't worry it's none fatal
A lot of us here suffer from it the forum provides the therapy :wink:
Looks good
Malc

Sam_Z

Reaction score
I use the little brother to your car as a daily driver in metro Melbourne - it's also a '74, also factory Granatrot...but it's a 2002! It's an uncommon paint code in the 02's as well, so I thought the coincidence warranted a hello.

It's a weird colour as it looks different in different lights, in broad daylight it's a fairly washed out colour, and when dusk falls it becomes a darker, richer burgundy. Sometimes it looks quite pink/rosy and sometimes it looks a kind of orangy-red, so yes, very moody colour. I'm not sure but your car looks like it may have been repainted in a slightly darker mix to original, I remember thinking that when I saw the auction pics a few weeks ago. To give you a perspective on the original colour this 6er on eBay looks like factory Granatrot, as does the E9 posted above by bert35csi.

Anyway good luck with the resto, good to hear rust isn't too much of an issue. I was tempted to bid on that car....E9's never cease to blow me away, they're just such BEAUTIFUL machines...

- Sam.

An old pic from when I first bought the 02, gives you a decent idea of Granatrot:
db0470927f2d9008fc60341a2b470dde.jpg

lisa_spyder

Reaction score
Malc,

I am a happy sufferer of the disease "Coupeitis". Glad to find good group therapy here :wink: .

Dave,

I checked out the gallery - beautiful car you have; what a lovely colour :D .

Sam,

I agree that the colour on my car looks a little off - the paint is quite dry (hasn't been polished for quite some time); it is also 'blooming' in places due to a painter - paint supplier issue quite a few years ago. My experience puts my money on water in the lines when she was last painted. Nothing that a fresh paint job won't fix (mixed to the correct code). Good to hear that you use my girl's little brother as a daily driver - I am all for using them, not just polishing them :wink: .

Now for the all important up to date rust report...small amount in the spare wheel well in the middle where the spare wheel is mounted, small amount around the fuel tank where it meets the floor, surface rust only in small patches on the floors, tiny bit in the pedal area. Nothing structural thus far. Floors are very sound, strut towers are very sound, up under the front guards etc all very sound - no rust in these areas!

I will start a thread in projects and restorations with some pics. The story of our roadtrip to collect the car will be up on our blog within a couple of days (http://spyderauto.net). We are still in the discovery and planning stage with the car, although Mike has already cleaned out a lot of the farm dirt etc and has had local car club members volunteering to help with the cleaning and prepping. All the sound deadening is already off the floor etc so we are making progress :D .

I managed to procure an original set of workshop manuals as well as a beautiful period Alpina steering wheel from the seller. Just bought an owner's handbook in fair condition, but complete on local eBay too...the money pit begins :roll: . I am of the firm belief that original is better than new replacement wherever feasible so my fingers are going to be raw from cleaning, polishing and refurbishing as many parts as possible. This resto will be as 'sympathetic' as we can make it as the car warrants being kept as original as possible. It may get some internal mechanical "tweaks" and will definitely get some suspension upgrades as we are both pretty keen drivers and expect our cars to perform to a certain level. Car has Boge shocks and the springs are super-soft for instance - they are not going back in, that's for sure :wink:

Cheers,

Lisa

PS - Warren, how about some pics of your car on those beautiful Kiwi roads?

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Granitrot

Lisa:
I just had my 74 repainted with granitrot (paint code 025) and it gets raves from everyone who sees it. I didn't ask for a clear coat, but my body shop put it on anyway and am glad they did. I don't have a camera but check out the link below. My coupe is in it. It is a very beautiful color. Goodluck.

Bill #4310008, webers, sunroof

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3484