HELP, replacing the rubber weatherstrips in the door openings, please

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi, it is my intention to replace the rubber profiles that are placed in the door opening, i understand that this is the frame of the door that runs from the roof, to the front A-pillar, then goes down passing close to the door hinges until the sill rocker panel, then back through the rocker panel, then up and ends there because there is no B-pillar in our coupes, that is weird !

to tell you the truth i will only replace the rubbers in an U shape, including:

-the vertical down line that runs close to the door hinges
-the horizontal line that runs paralell to the rocker panel
-the vertical (in fact it is aprox 60 degrees) that runs close to the door lock

the help that i am kindly requesting refers to the tips, and or difficulties that i might face while attempting this renovation

i am worried about which parts i do have to remove to have access and thus remove the carrier of the rubber profiles

i assume that you are able to identify that a rubber profile consists of a rubber lip and a carrier, the former seals the interior by being pressed against the door, the later fixes the rubber profile to the sheet metal lip of the door frame

once concealed that our target is to remove the carrier lets talk about what obstacles we will find in carrying out this task, or at least i will talk about the obstacles that i know hoping that you may help with the ones that i do not know

thank you for your help

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
the part that i know is only the horizontal part of this rubber, the one that runs horizontally parallel to the rocker

in order to remove the rubber, better to say the carrier, in this part, i must remove the interior stainless steel trim plate by means of several screws from the front near the clutch pedal, along the seat sliding rails, until the lower B-pilar

once this trim plate is removed i recall that the carrier can be pulled out without any fuss

do you agree ?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
the parts that i do not know how to remove are the front vertical and the rear semivertical pieces of the U

can you help ? please

thanks

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have not done this on an e9, but I did it on an e39 and on an e34. Both of those cars have b pillars, so they would be quite different.

The one tip I have to offer is this: actually pressing the new strip in place can only be done by manually manipulating the rubber with your hands. I found this quite demanding on my hands and forearms, and had to break away from the work periodically to rest them.

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
DQ,

It has be a very long time. From fading memory and review of http://vranedom.com/interiorglasstrim/interiorglasstrim.html and http://vranedom.com/interiorrepair/interiorrepair.html here is what I recall:

1. The top of the semivertical rear seal is captured by the interior rear window sill. I removed the sill prior to removing the seal. It needs to be off to properly install the new seal.

2. The cosmetic piping trim pieces at the front and back are riveted in place, but do NOT secure the U-seal. So you do not have to remove them to pull out the old seal, but I did anyway.

3. The funny shaped foam piece that joins the upper and lower parts of the door seal, at the base of the a-pillar, has a tab that keys into u-channel. Be careful separating them or the tab will break off. Given the age of the parts this may be unavoidable.

4. As you already noted, the upper stainless trim sill must be removed. The lower piece can stay in place.

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
thank you very much, i am commenting some details in your post quoted

DQ,

It has be a very long time. From fading memory and review of http://vranedom.com/interiorglasstrim/interiorglasstrim.html and http://vranedom.com/interiorrepair/interiorrepair.html here is what I recall:

1. The top of the semivertical rear seal is captured by the interior rear window sill. I removed the sill prior to removing the seal. It needs to be off to properly install the new seal.

i think it is captured by the exterior rear window seal, right ?

2. The cosmetic piping trim pieces at the front and back are riveted in place, but do NOT secure the U-seal. So you do not have to remove them to pull out the old seal, but I did anyway.

i think you are right, but my concern is that under those trim pieces there is another vinyl piece trapped too, my question is if these two pieces produce too much pressure and in fact trap the rubber carrier

additionally i see that the dashboard is in contact with the rubber carrier too, very close to the funny shaped foam i mean

3. The funny shaped foam piece that joins the upper and lower parts of the door seal, at the base of the a-pillar, has a tab that keys into u-channel. Be careful separating them or the tab will break off. Given the age of the parts this may be unavoidable.

yes, i am concerned about it i will trim the old rubber from the tab trying to keep the tab intact

4. As you already noted, the upper stainless trim sill must be removed. The lower piece can stay in place.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
This is extremely helpful. In the middle of installing / re-installing new rubber myself. Mystery solved!

DQ,

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thank you very much, i am commenting some details in your post quoted

Comments on your comments:

It is captured by the interior rear window sill assembly. This assembly actually includes the interior rear window seal. It all comes out as one piece.

i think you are right, but my concern is that under those trim pieces there is another vinyl piece trapped too, my question is if these two pieces produce too much pressure and in fact trap the rubber carrier

Sorry about the confusion in nomenclature. The trapped vinyl piece is what I called piping. The aluminum trim clamps it in place. Depending on condition, and the original hand-installation, the piping may be flexible enough to remove the U-channel. The vinyl is actually sewn around a piece of PVC tubing. I believe that this was both cosmetic and functional. The functional part was that it provided an additional gasket layer to prevent wind from getting in. When the door closes the piping on the door and the piping on the opending compress against eachother. Anyway, it seems to be designed with flexibility in mind. Since I was changing my interior color, I removed them and sewed new ones.

additionally i see that the dashboard is in contact with the rubber carrier too, very close to the funny shaped foam i mean

I just installed the funny foam pieces on my car. It is nearby, and intended to butt up against, but the dash isn't really involved. That said, be very precise about the lay-up of the adhesive. The foam piece tucks into that position pretty tightly. I spent about an hour figuring out the placement before applying the adhesive and committing.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
another comment

It is captured by the interior rear window sill assembly. This assembly actually includes the interior rear window seal. It all comes out as one piece.,

checked it, yes i agree, there is a small screw that fixes it to the mentioned piece, but,...do you think that i need to remove the interior rear assembly or only remove the mentioned screw ?

I just installed the funny foam pieces on my car. It is nearby, and intended to butt up against, but the dash isn't really involved. That said, be very precise about the lay-up of the adhesive. The foam piece tucks into that position pretty tightly. I spent about an hour figuring out the placement before applying the adhesive and committing.

i am not goong to remove or replace those funny foam pieces
[/COLOR]

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recall a lot of sandwiching of materials at the top of the semivertical. That end of the U-channel seal also has its own funny foam piece with a rubber tab on it. The screw goes tthrough he tab.

Old:
P7040039.JPG

Rear foam piece removed.
P7040040.JPG

New, installed:
P3110982.JPG

another comment

another comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraned

It is captured by the interior rear window sill assembly. This assembly actually includes the interior rear window seal. It all comes out as one piece.,

checked it, yes i agree, there is a small screw that fixes it to the mentioned piece, but,...do you think that i need to remove the interior rear assembly or only remove the mentioned screw ?

i am not goong to remove or replace those funny foam pieces

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
anyone know the part# of the rubber piece in the slot at the top of the aluminum door trim panel? - top picture in vraned's post. missing both of mine and cant find it in any of the oem diagrams.

great thread btw and timely for me!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That piece that is two inches long and terminates at the top of the vertical B post is part of the door seal itself itself even though it can fall off and is not available separately. DeQ is referring to the solid rubber block that is horizontal and part of the rear quarter window mounting that retracts with the window.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
sorry for the confusion. i'm referring to the rubber piece that looks like its contoured to receive the leading edge of the window when its rolled all the way down. It fits in the 'U' or 'V' shaped vertical opening at the top of the aluminum trim piece.