help with a new paint scheme

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
so, after a year of hemming and hawing over colors, assembling equipment and prepping the space, i'm ready to paint the coupe. I've settled on space grey, a bmw color but not a period correct one. I'm not concerned with maintaining the factory specs as the car already had the 3.5l and 5 spd transplant when i bought it and since then, i've added recaros and e24 rear seats, lowering springs, new *modern* stereo system, etc. With that in mind, i'm contemplating taking a step further away from the stock look and properly shadow lining the exterior chrome trim. I know this isnt a period correct mod and wont sit well with the purist crowd but i consider myself a person with decent taste and an eye for design ( i am a designer by trade ) and would only do it if 1) it was done expertly and 2) it was done in a way that didnt detract from or bastardize the natural beauty and spirit of the design. The blacked out or shadowline trim option was one that was available from BMW in the 80s on the e28 and i believe, e21 and e24 models so the idea of the chrome delete on a car that was originally designed with it is not unprecedented. I'm confident the beltline and tail light trim will look fine in black. its the window surrounds and sills that i'm not 100% sure about. I would also add the black CSL rear bumper and remove the front bumper entirely ( i have both an alpina air dam as well as a 635 style air dam and will mount one or the other... not sure which yet).

So, to that end, i'm looking for an example (a photo) of any car that has had this treatment done before. I remember there being a coupe that sold on ebay a few years back that was shawdowlined. It wasnt the best example as i believe it had a few other mods (rear spoiler, fender flares and interior butchering) that looked a bit out of place on the coupe but the blacked out chrome looked pretty decent, IMO.

I've attached a picture of Ryan's old coupe that i've modified to give a sense of the look i'm contemplating. the color is a bit darker than space grey but i think it still gets the point across. If i cant find a precedent picture, i'll try to photoshop a few more photos to approximate the look... But a photo would be great! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• coupe sport.jpg
    coupe sport.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 245

Orangener

Reaction score
First: You have my vote, grey with black is a great combination!

Here are some pictures:

Forget the modifications on fenders and bumpers, but the trim in the roof section is black !

imm009.jpg

http://www.razyboard.com/system/morethread-der-m3e30e9-bastard-helmut-hoeni-2144818-5564265-0.html

GS Tuning did it in the 70ies:

BMWCSLTuningSerie.jpg

http://www.razyboard.com/system/mor...utozeitschriften-hoeni-2144818-5723030-0.html

Here is the lower trim black :

Bernhard1.jpg

http://www.razyboard.com/system/morethread-bernhards-30csi-hoeni-2144797-5634787-0.html

threewebers

Reaction score
Color

I' struggling with Color also,I Think the grey/black will be nice! I have a street/track car ready to spray and I'm losing sleep thinking about it! How about Imola Red ,Black air dam or maybe black hood and top? Maybe some silver in there? Any thoughts??

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like your color choice; however, I wouldn't black out the trim around the windows. It makes it look like there is a huge rubber gasket around the windows; the bright trim around the windows provides a nice contrast.

JhwShark

Reaction score
The gray/black combo is really nice or can be...A 928'r is in process of doing his euro '82 in this scheme.

I'll post pic's when he has it back form the shop. He powder coated his wheels (phone dials) black and I believe he is blacking out the rear quarter window trim...and probably all trim. His brake caliper is a blue, I'd have gone for the Porsche red...

aw21

Reaction score
We almost have the same project going as our cars sound extremely similar.

I too thought long and hard about going w/ some sort of Anthracite, possibly from Ferrari. I'll probably end up going the "safe" route and bring it back to Polaris...

Your project sounds great.

I have a 2000cs rear bumper that is identical to the CSL rear bumper if you need it. Just need to powdercoat it black.

Andy

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Andy,
sent you a pm.

Orangener,
As always, much thanks for your enthusiastic response. There are a couple of photos in that set that i hadnt seen yet

Threewebers,

Sounds exciting. I dont know if i'd be brave enough to go with the 3 color color combo or to go black on the hood but it might just work on a track car. You've got a little more freedom there than with a daily driver:)

84E24

Reaction score
Paint

Richard,

I almost went with the grey combo. But with a cream interior. Look at the Z8 combo.

Give me a call 937 681 3676 or email [email protected] would like to talk to you again about the dist. and triples.

Steve

Attachments

• SESF 07 461.jpg
    SESF 07 461.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 151
  • SESF 07 462.jpg
    SESF 07 462.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 153
  • SESF 07 557.jpg
    SESF 07 557.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 179

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
steve,

funny. that z8 combo was the one that got the ball rolling. I think that z8 is stratus grey maybe? I just picked up a 07 z4 coupe in stratus and its a beautiful color. I'd spray the 3.0cs that color but i'm too chicken because its a chameleon (polychromatic?) paint - changes hues in different light/angles. I'm confident i can handle metallics, but the pollys... not so much.

how are things with your coupe? I'll shoot you an email / call you today or tomorrow.

QUOTE=84E24;53959]Richard,

I almost went with the grey combo. But with a cream interior. Look at the Z8 combo.

Give me a call 937 681 3676 or email [email protected] would like to talk to you again about the dist. and triples.

Steve[/QUOTE]