Help with E3? fuel tank...

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So yours looks like an early one with the additional recessed area. For me, at this point it doesn't really matter anymore since I can afford another tank. I'll make the one I have work.
I agree. I think mine would fit where your's fit but the top is slightly different.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree. I think mine would fit where your's fit but the top is slightly different.

I think any pre-74 would work. You can see the difference in that the '74 has the triangular bend at the first rolled bead. The pre-74 tanks have the bend at the third bead. The recess probably kicked in with the SI came about. Any replacement tank would have the recess, regardless of whether the hole was punched.

@dang - I messaged Seth who has the parts car in Seattle. I'm not sure what he wants for his '72 tank but I can get it down to you on the cheap.

ClayW

Reaction score
To resurrect and add to this thread, I had the same issue and here's my solution.

My E3 is a 1970 2500. I replaced the tank with a 3.0Si tank, presumably from a later model. It would seem that the later models have some additional bracing in the rear passenger quarter that changed the shape of the tank. The later tank is deeper and narrower, but it bolts into the earlier cars with most of the screw holes reused; it just leaves a sizable gap on the right. I filled that gap with a filler plate that I made. See below.

E3FuelTankAdapter.jpg

E3FuelTankAdapterInSitu.jpg

E3FuelTank.jpg

Hope that helps clear up any confusion.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
What did you use around the edges to seal? I actually use rain and ice shield, cut it to extend slightly beyond the flange.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
What did you use around the edges to seal? I actually use rain and ice shield, cut it to extend slightly beyond the flange.
I just used exterior caulk. I think Chris uses something similar in the form where you can roll it up and place it where you want it better. I didn't think about that soon enough. What's Rain and Ice Shield? Sounds like a roofing underlayment.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
yes it is...........sticky on one side. Butyl based. Like x-mat without the alum.