here's one you dont see everyday...

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lot's of conflict going on in this design statement. Like a bad accident, you got to stare at it for a while. The work that is done appears well executed, but the stuff that's ignored should send a warning that lot's of nasties might lurk deep in the soul of this poor abused former classic. My .02

DJSimca

Reaction score
Tend to agree with 'Ed G' ... seems to be well executed, but the car has lost it's identity and has become 'anonymous' for lack of a better word :(

Malc

Reaction score
The outside treatment is kind of ok, I quite like the look of the bright trim turned to black. Front end spoiler is ok but something looks wrong with the rear end. Wheel arch extensions and side skirts are ok ish but I would need to see the car in the flesh
The interior for me ruins it and I agree that the contrasting styles are an accident the has happened!!
I am sure an E9 interior could be "updated" in a more sympathetic manner
But then again this is only my opinion and some other folk may like the whole package.
Malc

Roger S

Reaction score
Eh?

I dont think its so bad. If one were to trim the front wheel treatment and bottom front of the air dam so that scoop is not as pronounced; get rid of the tail; and put on a bumper, the exterior of the car wouldnt be so bad.

With all the mechanical work done to it, the buyer might get a lot of car for the buck. The interior can be addressed by doing something with the center console. If it needs more, a dark tint will do the trick - for a while. All things considered, clean work and we all have seen worse.

shanon

Reaction score
looks like a great track car candidate to me :twisted:
exterior & wheels look ready to go, gut the interior, put in a CSL racer repro dash or not, add a roll cage, number circles and seats......done!!

-shanon

x_atlas0

Reaction score
That certainly represents a lot of work, but some things (ok, a lot of things) don't make much sense.

1. Why use the E39 stock seats? They weigh a freaking ton! Just use some Corbs or Recaros. Unique? Yes, but also not a terribly good idea, methinks.

2. The AC system looks like something behind the dash exploded. Considering the rest of the interior, an enclosed vent set would have looked a lot more professional.

3. The blacked-out trim is a nice touch, but this is a car from the chrome era. It just doesn't look quite right. Heck, even the race cars sometimes have the chrome trim.

4. Call me crazy, but I like the slight lip from the front air dam. Said dam could use some more blending into the widebody arches, however. The rear spolier needs to go. Stick with the batmobile rear spoiler. The rear diffuser-looking thing also looks out of place, especially since the underbody isn't streamlined enough for a diffuser to have the desired effect.

5. The widebody looks, well, bad to me. I much more prefer the Gr 4 Clader flares, they look a bit more natural to the car.

6. All that bodywork, and it uses an essentially stock M30B34? Talk about show and no go. At least stick a S38 in there!

Still, it is a suprisingly complete package, and it obviously took a lot of time and effort. Just not my cup of tea. I like the quality of interior work, though.

pj

Reaction score
I kinda like it, ac stuff would have to go but its alooker, what do you all think it will go for?

chicane

Reaction score
Malc said:
The outside treatment is kind of ok, I quite like the look of the bright trim turned to black. Front end spoiler is ok but something looks wrong with the rear end. Wheel arch extensions and side skirts are ok ish but I would need to see the car in the flesh
The interior for me ruins it and I agree that the contrasting styles are an accident the has happened!!
I am sure an E9 interior could be "updated" in a more sympathetic manner
But then again this is only my opinion and some other folk may like the whole package.
Malc

+2. It's the interior. Strip out those seats replace with some recaros and put some stock door panels and a stock dash and console and you will have a nice hotrod.

gazzol

Reaction score
I have to agree with whats already been said. Exterior: bad ideas executed well. Interior: doesn't really know which direction its going in.
I would also have liked to see group 2 arches ( UFO car etc).

chicane

Reaction score
Those are actually E46 M3 replica wheels. I think he will find if he puts some nice Alpina replica wheels, puts the interior back to stock, lose the fart can, and replace the blackened trim with traditional chrome he will have a nice E9 hotrod.

We have seen other's who try to make E9's look more late model and it just doesn't work. The best and most sympathetic resto-mod I have ever seen is Pain Cain's ride.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Far out exercize--lost me

IMHO would still be tastleless butchery even if the starting point had been a Mustang!! May have possibilities as a source of spare parts for a 'FUNNY CAR" restoration.

On second thought--could be a vg candidate as a Barrett-Jackson "wierd car offering"--would be right there in the pack they successfully auctioned last night and realize their going rates of around $5-7K.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't like everything about the execution, but with the overall look I'm OK. I'm not a fan of any rear spoiler beyond the rubber lip ducktail, so that would have to be reduced in size a bunch (CSL wings are fine on CSL's), and the interior needs some changes.

This car is begging for a V8 conversion. If you're gonna go big, go BIG! An LS6 with an Audi transaxle would be a nice setup.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That last one is heinous....
At least the silver example has some redeeming qualities but take off that rear spoiler..ugh

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
The eBay sale is just shy of $20k with three days to go.

Interesting that anyone would prefer such a freakishly bastardized item to a well kept original or tastefully modified car for that kind of money, no matter how well executed, but to each his own I guess.....

Of course, once you redo the 50 foot paint, you'll only be in it $30k, so there's that going for it.

chicane

Reaction score
Erik said:
The eBay sale is just shy of $20k with three days to go.

Interesting that anyone would prefer such a freakishly bastardized item to a well kept original or tastefully modified car for that kind of money, no matter how well executed, but to each his own I guess.....

Of course, once you redo the 50 foot paint, you'll only be in it $30k, so there's that going for it.

I have to say, even though a lot of work went into this car, I don't get paying $19K+ for this car.